Velocity Deviations. 308

hvychev77

Hi everyone. I did some load testing for my .308 this weekend and have a couple questions for you long range shooters. I was using my chrono and had speeds from 2950-2925. Is this a normal spread? I guess I shot 5 rounds through it with chrono 10 feet from muzzle. Also, at 500-600 yards, how would these deviations affect point of impact? I weigh each charge of H4895 (41 grains) and am using a Hornady 168 grain Amax and CCI primer. Each charge is weighed on rcbs 505 scale. I plan on having a rcbs chargemaster before Christmas. Any advice or are these normal differences? Thanks

I would say there is no way you are getting 2950 fps with a .308 and 168 grain bullet. You may want to try moving your chrono a few more feet away from the muzzle and try again. With that load, you should be getting closer to 2500 fps.

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct. that was a mistake in my typing (dang phone). I meant to say the deviations are from 2590 - 2625 sorry about that...........So, is that normal?

Yes, you are correct. that was a mistake in my typing (dang phone). I meant to say the deviations are from 2590 - 2625 sorry about that...........So, is that normal?

That is not bad at all and should have very little to no impact to accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.