VariX III vs. Mark 4

Zundel257

I am thinking about getting either a Leupold VariX III 8.5-25x50mm or the Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm. There is a decent price difference and I would like to know if the extra price is worth the difference. I will be putting it on a 308 and mainly using it for hunting.

I am thinking about getting either a Leupold VariX III 8.5-25x50mm or the Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm. There is a decent price difference and I would like to know if the extra price is worth the difference. I will be putting it on a 308 and mainly using it for hunting.

The mark 4 is top of the line and well worth the money.

For a hunting scope for your rifle I would recommend the 4.5x14 or 6.5x 20x50 LR,
because the lower power on the bottom. (8x25 power is hard to use for hunting except
for varmints of a bench.

J E CUSTOM

M1 turrets are a plus, if you intend to hit with single shots at any distances.
Also, If you get a Mk4, you could order it through the custom shop(through planetoptics), so that it doesn't just fall off the end of an assembly line.
I've bought 4 or 5 like this(8.5x25), with the Alumina flip-ups and fine crosshairs(for GH hunting). Every scope tested perfect in MOA adjustments, and my reticles have so far been pumb to these adjustments.
But 'fine' crosshairs are too fine for anything but open field shooting. The day Leupold offers a med-fine crosshair, as I had installed by Premeir Reticles, I'll be sending most in for upgrade. You might inquire about a med-fine(it matches NF CH1). Your looking for .035-.045MOA of subtension at 25x. Their fine is ~.025moa...

Anyway, I wouldn't get a VariX-III, VX3, Vx-LR,,III or anything else with a 'V'.
Even Leupold can't keep up with all the model swapping there!

I would call leupold and ask the difference but I am pretty sure the difference now days isnt much. the new vx-3 scopes have double erector springs in them and have been told they do perfectly on a ladder test. you can get any of the same options on the vx-3 as you can the mk-4 through the custom shop. M-1 turrets or anything else.

I emailed Leupold when considereing the VX-3 or Mk-4. here is their reply from a Dan LOZA.

John,

only difference between the Mark 4 and VX-3 is the Mark 4 is built little stronger, more durable and little more material. Same glass

Regards,

---- Original Message ----

Sir/Madam,

Could you please tell me if there is much difference between the VX-3 and Mark 4 model rifle scopes.

Do they use different lenses ?
Are the adjustment turrets different ?

Yours faithfully,

I purchased the VX-3 4.5-14x50 LR with B&C reticle which is fine for my use. The only Mk-4 I would buy is the Front Focal plane model.

There was a thread on this topic some time ago maybe do a search. it got pretty well hashed out that the mark 4 wasent worth the extra money. i know i took a brand new 6.5 x20 vx-3 out of the box and looked it over packed it back up and sent to leupold. My instructions and check for m-1's thinking around 130.00 and told them it wouldnt hold zero. this being said i knew they checked it out very well. this scope will track out to 1k yards and return to zero as good as my 3 nightforces. i saved a lot of money this way and would put of against any mark 4.
mike

I concede that Mk4s are not a 'good deal' at current prices.
Don't understand the huge price hike, within a year, and without improved glass..
So maybe alternative approaches are in order afterall.

I have to admit that I went ahead and went the extra mile and got the Mark 4. If i am going to be using this rifle in the field then the extra durability should come in hand. There was about a $200 difference.

I thought the mark 4 was a first focal plain? That is the advantage of a Mark 4 mildot, same on any setting.

Also, I am going to use the leupold rings because i already have the base, and need to know if the high's will do or if i need the super high's. I have a 40mm scope on there now but i dont know what hieght rings are holding it. So i am going up to a 50mm. I will say that the 40mm is really close to touching the barrell now. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts