Leupold mark 4 vs Nightforce

Sleepy Time

Got a new rifle on the way and starting to think about glass. Been looking at the Leupold Mk4 and the Nightforce. Someone talk me out of this Nightforce. Is it really worth the extra money? What about the Leupold? How's it measure up?

Get your hands on both. Turn the knobs and feel the difference!!! look at the differences in quality for yourself. It is that eveident in my opinion. I ordered a new Mark 4 once, I was not into it at all and sold it before I ever mounted it. I am very happy with my NXS's

Jeff

I think the leupold is nice for the price.I have a Mark 4 in the 5-20, FFP. I can not find where NF offers this in a 20x, they do in a 15x. That was important to me, also I wanted my rifle light for packing, and as you age this becomes more important, 22 oz verses 32 oz. I have no problem with the M5 dials I have and I like the TMR, which has a small hollow in middle that is nice for aiming. With this scope I have shot a 1.125 group @ 400.I have taken many a trophy animal with my Leupolds

my next scope will be basically the same mk 4 for the same reasons I have NF and Vortex but at almost 1lb more they may be too heavy depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Agree its a weight thing! Optically I find no difference in the two you need to move up to and S&B or Zeiss to see a real improvement. The NF seem to be better made, better dials, more features, zero stop, warranty. If it's a packing rifle the M4 save a lot of weight. If it's a bench gun/ambush the NF. I do think the M4's are a bit overpriced but tend have and use more of them.

Are we talking the original fixed mark 4 or the newer variables?

I have both (NXS 5.5-22x50 & Mark 4 10x M1). Aside from magnification, I prefer my mark 4. The optics are clearer, it is just as durable and bomb proof, adjustments are solid, accurate, positive, reliable and repeatable. It is lighter, more compact. It offers the same amount of light gathering as my NXS even with 10mm less objective. This is due to it being a fixed power. Fixed power optics have much better clarity and light transmission than variables of equal size/power. Hence the reason it is as bright and much clearer. My 10x seems like I am looking through a 13-15x NXS due to its clarity and brightness.

If I had to buy a new scope tomorrow, it would be a Mark 4 16x M1. If it HAD to be a variable power, I would get another NXS over the second generation Mark 4.

All that said, I love my NXS and would recommend them as well. I like having the zero stop (even though it isnt really needed) and the illuminated reticle (even though I never use it and have never used it). I really dont care for the NXS glass but it is sufficient.

I dont really like carrying the extra bulk and weight. I use this scope as a sit in one spot and glass, glass, glass untill I find something to shoot scope.

mark 4, is my choice. have both, but the nightforce is to heavy for field gun. glass on mk 4 seems clearer to my eye.

mark 4, is my choice. have both, but the nightforce is to heavy for field gun. glass on mk 4 seems clearer to my eye.
+1
i really like the quality and features of night force but for me on packing rifles the wieght and bulk is the deal breaker.

Thanks for all the replies. The weight was really my biggest problem with the nightforce, so I'm leaning towards the leupold.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.