Vacuum packing my clothes

I did it on a trip into Afghanistan. Worked great until I was repacking to come home and didn't have my vacuum sealer! Was a lot tougher to fit everything... I actually shipped some things home.
Yes, it does gain a little bit of space though.

Yes, its an excellent idea for the reasons you mentioned. Also, the used bags can be used to separate wet items from dry during wet weather. I would not recommend it for airline travel for inspection purposes.

Last edited:
Tried this on a back country in Idaho one time. If having to pack in small bags to fit on each side of a horse you gain the space going but lost space on the return. Bag count was my problem. I know of some that have used the space saver bags. Not sure if you can push air out of them with out a vacuum. Might be a the way to go. My biggest issue was keeping everything dry on trip in. Worked for me.

Yes. All kind of reasons going in it makes sense. Waterproof stuff sacks ( dry bags) work well too and are reusable. I use both methods. When I'm guiding up there I've got a complete set; socks, long johns, beanie and an insulated layer, vacuum sealed under the port forward seat of my boat.
I have a similar vacuum sealed bag that goes in my day pack when we go on Flyouts. I also use a drybag with additional gear I leave where the floatplane drops is off. Stuff in that drybag has been vacuumed for years, still sealed.
My day pack for elk hunting has a vacuum sealed bag with socks long johns and beanie. It's at least 10 years old, probably should open it up and check.
I carry two fire starting kits. A ziplock baggie for my lunch fire and a vacuum sealed one for sh.. just got real.
Horse back wilderness hunts I like smaller drybags, keep my gear sorted then all the bags fit in a larger bag to go on the horse.
I think I would be inclined to use drybags with some limited vacuum sealed bags on your sheep hunt. Use brightly colored bags.

Excellent input Salmonchaser. You may very well have saved lives by sharing this info. Great ideas.

Yes. All kind of reasons going in it makes sense. Waterproof stuff sacks ( dry bags) work well too and are reusable. I use both methods. When I'm guiding up there I've got a complete set; socks, long johns, beanie and an insulated layer, vacuum sealed under the port forward seat of my boat.
I have a similar vacuum sealed bag that goes in my day pack when we go on Flyouts. I also use a drybag with additional gear I leave where the floatplane drops is off. Stuff in that drybag has been vacuumed for years, still sealed.
My day pack for elk hunting has a vacuum sealed bag with socks long johns and beanie. It's at least 10 years old, probably should open it up and check.
I carry two fire starting kits. A ziplock baggie for my lunch fire and a vacuum sealed one for sh.. just got real.
Horse back wilderness hunts I like smaller drybags, keep my gear sorted then all the bags fit in a larger bag to go on the horse.
I think I would be inclined to use drybags with some limited vacuum sealed bags on your sheep hunt. Use brightly colored bags.
Thanks for the response. I did it on our first back country hunt in Yhe Frank Church Wilderness area I Idaho. I thought it worked good except the pack out when everything is exspanded makes it a little harder.

Over the years I've accumulated quite a few stuff sacks and dry bags. In my mind there is no place wetter then a pack mule walking through wet snow. Might be tight but I can always get it back in the stuff sack heading home.

I've tried multiple variations of this now. Vacuum packing was great up until the return trip like others mentioned. I bought some travel travel bags that were basically 2.5 gallon ziplocks. They were good. My complaint with them is that you could burp the seal open if you didn't have 99.9% of the air out. I finally switched to these: https://amzn.to/2Xz7f54 from sea to summit and they are my go to now. Super lightweight, color coded, resealable, and can be used for something else than just clothes during the trip. The 13L was perfect for my use, but the 10 could be good too.

I find things pack larger on the way out. If you need to vacuum pack to fit everything in your pack, your gonna have things hanging off the outside of your pack on the way out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.