Utah southwest desert mule deer

Muley Buck

Hi guys, I'm super new here and not looking to gain an easy in on someone's honey hole or anything like that, but rather get some insight if anyone has hunted it in the past. I drew a tag there this year and am very excited! (first time) I'm from California, which overall has poor hunting compared to all the other western states so I'm sure I will have a good hunt no matter what. Thanx in advance guys!

I've already done a healthy amount of homework on the unit, and I think I have a few "areas" picked out that I want to hunt. I'm going to try to make a scouting trip in the next month or two if I am able to, at least just to put my eyes on the terrain.

I had to look up that unit number. I'm not a fan of the new unit designations. I have hunted around the Beaver area and out towards the north. Big John flat is a popular destination as is iron mountain .Both of those areas used to get a lot of pressure but several nice bucks were always harvested there. My partner and I liked hunting the low rolling hills. Not as many bucks but better quality. I couldn't tell if Minersville was in the boundary but out that way had some good areas with minimal pressure.

Yeah it looks like big john flat is out of my area,it's in the Beaver unit next door. As for Iron Mountain that is in my unit and Minersville is right on the eastern edge of the unit. I will be arriving from the west end through Nevada near Modena and planned on looking at the Paradise Mts., Indian Peaks Range and the Wah Wah Mts. Looks to be lots of country out there. I am probably in the best shape of my life, so hitting the higher elevations or just plain getting off the roads shouldn't be a problem. I have heard "all the good bucks hold up high" but I know there are some good ones to be had in the low rollers below. I've been through Nevada enough to know better. There is a lot of room out there with under 300 tags prescribed for the unit. It is said there will probably be less deer but a better quality.

Well I made a trip over to Utah this last weekend and looked over a lot of country. I found some deer and some elk along with a ton of wild horses. I think I have a good area to start with come October. Just a waiting game now...
By the way, thanks again! :D

Hi Muley Buck,

I've lived in CA my entire life. I've hunted Utah for about 30 years. It took a couple years to figure out where most deer were. It's called edge. At least 80% of all game will be found in about 10% of any given area. While we've hunted our area for a long time, we're still finding edge.

Try to figure out patterns of movement. During general deer season, big bucks tend to be bedded most of the day unless they're disturbed. So keep an eye on what other hunters are doing. If you see other hunters walking into an area, try to figure our escape routes. That will give you an advantage.

Scouting a new area is crucial. If it's possible, spend as much time as you can scouting before opening day. It sounds like you're going alone, so you'll be doing a whole lot of work. Get topos of the area and carry a compass so you can mark locations of deer you see. BTW, seeing deer now is a whole lot different than seeing them during general deer season.

I'm familiar with Unit 20, although I've never hunted it. Unit 20 does have a decent population of deer. If I remember correctly, Unit 20 has a lot of cedar trees.

I've learned this pretty quickly: don't hunt where locals tell you that you'll find deer. Hunt where locals hunt. If you see a lot of Utah plates in an area, it's a good bet there will be deer there.

You might want to call DWR for buck to doe ratios.

Best of luck to you. And I hope you kill a big one.

Hi there SansSouci.

First off I'd like to thank you for your reply to my post, I really appreciate it. :) Ahhh yes the edge factor, I am familiar with this also. I agree with you 100% on that.

I have done as much pre season scouting as I possibly could. I will probably head over there a couple days early and do some scouting too. I have no idea what or how much pressure to expect. You said you are no stranger to the unit, so you probably know there are only a few hundred tags. Which is a good thing I suppose. Did you say cedars??? Oh yes, plenty of cedars! Some areas are thicker than others. Big bucks love cover though.

Good lookin out with the locals tip. I really do put everything I've got into this, it means a lot to me. Thanx again!

That is a really awesome unit to draw I was there last year elk hunting for spike some of the biggest deer I've seen on that unit were down in the flats to the east of the peak (facing wah wah Mts) we got in close to them before they jumped like 15-20 yards close but the others were out there 500+ yards bedded down. The weather last year around the rifle hunt was raining and kinda windy hunt the bowls up there if that happens don't know why but they love them

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.