Utah elk unit

Try the Fishlake/Thousand Lake area. Large bulls. Limited entry. During bow season you need to hunt high N/W facing slopes in deep timber. Big country.
Good Luck

If the Henery Mtn area has an archery season that would be my choice. If you can get a hold of an Eastmens that covers Utah they have a unit run down annually !! Hunting Fool does also. I think it would be in the next edition.

I went with my hunting buddy last year down to the Monroe Hunting Unit. Opening morning of the Archery Hunt he dropped a beautiful 372" bull. We saw lots of good bulls while scouting the week before the hunt started. He was very pleased with his bull, I don't think you can go wrong on the Monroe.... Just my 2 cents

If you don't have first hand knolage of the units here in utah then my advice would be to go guided. Call Tod Black with Black Timber Outfitters. (435) 770-9302. There are lots of other good guys here in the state but Tod would be near the top of my list for public land guides.

Over at Monster Mulyes.com they have a odds computing section that should give you a decent idea what your chances are of drawing any unit your interested in.

If you are quite familure with the unit(s) your concidering, a ML hunt could be a good option as some times the odds are much better VS a rifle hunt. Just saying keep all options open.

You might already know this, but I feel I should let you know my friend drew back in 07 and he was totally blown away buy the shear size of the drainages he hunted and by how densely over grown they were. He saw tons and tons of bulls with more than a few in the 350 class but as he was on a solo hunt he simply could never close with in rifle range, as he could not find them in the thick stuff.

I wish I could recall the unit, but it escapes me at this moment. He drew it with 12 BPs. He left for Utah with sky high as possable expectations, and returned empty handed.
I am guessing here but IMHO, although he was in excellent shape and a experienced backpacker and hunter, he simply was not adiquately prepaired for the extreme size of the country, him finding few and to far between glassing points, and the fact that although it was a limited entry unit, every hunter he incountered had 5-6 friends helping out. But most importantly, he did not have a quad, and the fact EVERY OTHER hunter or friend helping their buddy to spot/find elk DID!.

When he did manage to spot a shooter bull, they tended to be much farther than he expected them to be and as he was on foot he either could not get to them in time before they vanished or someone on a quad beat him to the bull(s). By the time he desided to rent a quad (past a week into the hunt) the bulls had been pushed far back away from the eazy access points.

Best of luck.

If the Henery Mtn area has an archery season that would be my choice. If you can get a hold of an Eastmens that covers Utah they have a unit run down annually !! Hunting Fool does also. I think it would be in the next edition.

This is not an Elk Unit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.