Use the 303 British Neck sizing die on a 7.62x54R?

engineer40

I'm purchasing some reloading dies for my Mosin Nagant.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...in-nagant-stock-easy-off-over-cleaner-161784/

Lee doesn't make a neck collet die for the 7.62x54R. But I already own the collet neck sizing die for a 303 British. Since it doesn't touch the shoulder or body of the case, what are your thoughts on using the 303 Brit neck die on the 7.62x54R?

Worth a try? Or I will definitely screw something up? Thanks guys!

You should ask this question in a mosin milsurp forum and after they have you drawn and quartered, shot with a dull bullet and revoke your library card for using Easy-Off oven cleaner they might answer your question about the collet die.

P.S. They might burn you at the stake also. :rolleyes:

Below what you should have used that doesn't destroy the wood cellular fibers.

Minwax® Antique Furniture Refinisher
Minwax Antique Furniture Refinisher - Furniture Restoration | Minwax

You should ask this question in a mosin milsurp forum and after they have you drawn and quartered, shot with a dull bullet and revoke your library card for using Easy-Off oven cleaner they might answer your question about the collet die.

We very rarely burn anyone at the stake for travesties such as Easy-Off. Unless they're local and we can figure out their address. :D

The 303 die will only size a little less than half of the 7.62x54R neck because the 303 is longer. I know several people who use 308 Win Lee neck dies with a 0.311" mandrel from 7.62x39 or some other shorter case. I think it requires a washer to get it correct, but it does work. I just use a RCBS neck die on mine. It works them a little bit more, but it does work.

Matt

Was that a compliment?....... I'll take that as a compliment. :)

However, thank you for the lesson in theory that has never actually happened or been proved. I did a good bit of research before deciding to use Easy-Off. I'm not blind to the potential long term affects, but I am not concerned about it either. It's all good. :)

We very rarely burn anyone at the stake for travesties such as Easy-Off. Unless they're local and we can figure out their address. :D

The 303 die will only size a little less than half of the 7.62x54R neck because the 303 is longer. I know several people who use 308 Win Lee neck dies with a 0.311" mandrel from 7.62x39 or some other shorter case. I think it requires a washer to get it correct, but it does work. I just use a RCBS neck die on mine. It works them a little bit more, but it does work.

Matt

Thanks Matt!

Was that a compliment?....... I'll take that as a compliment. :)

However, thank you for the lesson in theory that has never actually happened or been proved. I did a good bit of research before deciding to use Easy-Off. I'm not blind to the potential long term affects, but I am not concerned about it either. It's all good. :)

Thanks Matt!

It wasn't a complement but its your rifle and you can abuse the wood as you please "BUT" you should have done more research on the subject. And it's not a theory and it is a proven fact, Easy-Off it contains the same basic chemical used to strip and bleach wooden decks. And you will not find any furniture refinishers using Easy-Off. (Lye) to refinish fine furniture.

Below is the link to the Civilian Marksmanship Program on how to refinish a M1 Garand.

Civilian Marksmanship Program

Wood Cleaning Article

Wood Cleaning Article | Civilian Marksmanship Program

6.1 Stripping Off the Old Finish and Other Debris: Walnut and birch are easily worked with, but not cheaply and take some labor if you want a nice job without making a chemical mess of the wood. Any product or procedure that includes water is not appropriate for refinishing rifle stocks. The oven cleaner and dishwasher versions of cleaning stocks are not appropriate. Water, chemicals, and hot water are the death of wood fibers and any cartouche marks on the wood. Wood in many respects is a bundle of straws held together by glue. The active ingredient in Easy-Off Oven Cleaner (sodium hydroxide) attacks the natural wood glue (hemicellulose) holding the wood fibers together. Left on long enough, it will even attack the individual wood fibers. Even more problematic when unintended is that Easy-Off requires rinsing with water which raises the grain of the wood and requires sanding to remove the feathers raised. A dishwasher's water and heat have the potential to swell wood fibers so much that the metal will not fit back in. Oven cleaners and dishwasher detergents chemically alter the wood fibers and remove natural oils in the wood. A lye like compound may be left in the wood to later leach out if damp and attack the metal placed against it. Minwax Antique Furniture Refinisher, synthetic stripping pads, a stiff toothbrush, and a kitchen vegetable brush will get all the old finish off of the hand guards and off of a walnut or birch stock while putting needed natural oils into the wood and keeping the grain flat. Every bit of the stock, inside and out, should be cleaned with the Refinisher including the butt stock kit holes. It is actually good for the wood.

you can abuse the wood as you please

....that's what she said...

Joking aside, your copy and paste stated very little more than I myself also warned people of in the original thread. So I'm not sure you read through it in it's entirety?

If you yourself have restored a Mosin that looks better than the one I did and spent less than the $20 I did on the restore, I urge you to post pictures with a detailed write up on it. In my humblest voice, "I will be the first to read it and express my gratitude for your sharing".

I'm confident my Mosin will be around longer than I probably will be... and I'm in my 30's.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.