Can you use a neck sizing die to bump the case shoulder?

A neck sizing die just sizes the neck of the case. I think if you set the die down enough to hit the shoulder it would make a mess of the brass. I have heard of shoulder bump dies but have never used one. I neck sized only brass for a 264Win and never after several firings needed to bump the shoulders. That rifle was the only one that I really needed to neck size, as full length sizing in it really worked the cases over. I believe that was because the chamber headspaced on the belt and the rest of the chamber was out of spec, but who knows?

You can neck size with your FL sizer. Just buy a set of Skips shims from Sinclair, put the size you want under the die and you are GTG.

You can neck size with your FL sizer. Just buy a set of Skips shims from Sinclair, put the size you want under the die and you are GTG.

This is still FL sizing, while controlling the shoulder bump. Works great if you know your head to datum length.

IMO, there is nothing good in FL sizing of necks. Avoid any bushing system, or otherwise, that FL sizes necks.

A 'bushing-bump' die incorporates shoulder bumping(with body support) and partial neck sizing with a standard bushing. You might be able to use a 'FL-bushing' die for this, depends on it's design.
Or, you can use a body die and separate neck sizing die (2 operations). This is what I do.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.