US Optics level, (getting it level)

AJ Peacock

I installed a US Optics http://www.usoptics.com/accD.php?recordID=BBL-150 level on the rail of my 338AM (affectionately known as Betsy to my hunting partners). The level didn't agree with the crosshairs, and the crosshairs seemed straight. After careful measuring, we confirmed that the crosshairs were perfectly square with the action. The US optics level wasn't built entirely square, the dovetail slot was .008" from square with the level. After adding 3 thicknesses of aluminum tape (.0025"/thickness) under one side of the mount, the level is now exactly square with the rest of the gun.

Just FYI, its amazing how little details can drive you crazy.

AJ

Last edited:
AJ
I finally just took mine off!! if the cross hair is square with the action and the cross hair feels right with the brain the level is of no use to me!
If you can't tell the rifle is canted I think you must be a 1/2 bubble off! LOL
I work construction and have a good eye for level, just more stuff to keep checking and I finally figured out that I trust my sences more than the level.

Some folks here really like them, I can't ever see buying any more of them.

Just as a side note my ACI sits next to my level on my reloading bench!
I get the angle from my rangefinder now.

You should shoot some long range with your level and then tape it off so you can't see the bubble and shoot the same distance and see if its even worth packing around.

The gadgets we collect to improve our shooting need to help or thier just cool looking gadgets!

CAM

Cam,

I agree a lot of the time we don't need it, but there are times that level doesn't look level. For me, its when I'm shooting off a slope from a prone position and am shooting downhill and across a canyon. Angles going every direction and laying crooked on the slope of a hill. I'll carry the extra 1/2 oz just to be sure of my level.

AJ

AJ
The weight is of little concern with big monster guns thats for sure!
My point was it didn't improve "MY" shooting. It did look cool tho!
Mine was like yours and I knew the cross hairs were right and the level was off, if I used the level the cross hair was off I never came up with a salution to level the "level" like you did I just learned it wasen't needed for me anyway's and that I trusted my gut feel more than the level.
When the ACI came off so did the level and I don't miss either one.

When I look at an animal standing on a hill it's legs are alway's vertical, maybe not it's back but it's legs. When ever I have an Elk in the scope I forgot I even had a level! Can't ever remember looking at the level when killing Elk. LOL Ever see a pairie dog leaning at 30 deg? I haven't.

I love gadgets have lot's of them!
If I lose faith in something, just no need to keep it.
because I don't believe it anyway.
Too bad you had to shim it.
But good info for others to know about and a good fix you came up with!

I can only say I'm proud nothing it taped onto my gun!! JUST KIDDING YOU!!
CAM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.