Reticle not level or square to level housing?

Spoke with Leupold and advised them on everything I had done in my attempt to mount the scope and they agreed something is not right. They asked me to send the scope in to them to evaluate, I shipped it out Tuesday.

Interesting. I mount scopes for not only myself but customers as well and I always 'hone' (interesting term for lap) the rings with an appropriate diameter of drill rod prior to. I fixture the rifle (or pistol) on the table of my Bridgeport and level the weapon with Starrett Machinist Levels on 2 axis and then mount the scope using the elevation turret and a dial indicator to achieve a level plane. Never had an issue doing that.

I believe the reticle is wonky but then I've never fiddled with that particular optic.

Agreed, lapping may be the correct terminology lol. It is lapping compound so makes since. Anyway, I have mounted many scopes as well and this was a first. I probably would not have even written this post if I had not removed the scope new from the box with this issue.

I had to send in a vx6 for this exact same problem - it was not even close to level. I've mounted a bunch of scopes and when the scope is level to the action, you could clearly see the reticle canted to the right.

They're still working on it, but hopefully it will be back in the next few weeks.

Leupold is the only one I've ever had this problem with - not bashing just facts.

Only Leupy scope I personally own is a 3-9 VX1 on a Savage 17HMR. Basic scope, basic price. Good luck with getting the issue addressed. Don't say a lot for Leupold QC frankly. Should have never left the factory like that.

Not impressed with any manufacturer that uses the end user to find what should be a QC issue.

Last edited:
Thinking about it, I'm a little dismayed that Leupold didn't offer an exchange for a new in the box one to replace yours. Reason I say that is a few years ago I bought a Vortex Viper PST that was wonky and Vortex immediately shipped me a replacement. before I even sent the defective one back. Now you get to play the waiting game. Not good. Not only did I get a replacement optic, I got a couple hats, some Tee's and a gift cert for 50 bucks off, which I used.

I should communicate that to Leupold and see what they say. It's not like this is an entry level optic, this is one of their higher end model scopes. If I was pressed for time on this I would definitely have already communicated the urgency to Leupold. They may still offer a swap once they receive the scope. They are supposed to call me when they receive the scope and evaluate the issue.

just remounted 3 scopes. I used the level mounted on the rifle barrel, and a level on the scope mount to start. then shined a light back thru the scope to level scope/ Finally put a level mounted to the scope for a reference to keep me from canting the rifle. IN the shop the scope looked canted. out on the bench it does not. When I talked to some "tech" at Leupold he admonished me about lapping in the rings. They don't need it and such other reasons. lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.