UPS advice worked

specweldtom

I shipped a box of bulk bullets yesterday from the local UPS terminal. On the way, I decided I would describe them as fishing sinkers, but when I got there couldn't do it. When the lady asked what they were, I just told her they were bullets. She blinked hard, stepped back, and started to tell me that they couldn't...., but I told her that I had just checked their website and they were definitely allowed to ship bullets. I very politely asked if she would like to check it herself, or if possibly one of the 4 people sitting in the office doing nothing could do it. After a long discussion about what part of a bullet a bullet was, I told her it was the projectile. After more discussion, I said it is the pointy thing in front. She went ahead and did the shipping labels and I paid. When I looked at the receipt, she had described the bullets as "projectors" Aahh, so what, they shipped them.

Previously, I tried to ship a barrel, and I got kicked to the curb. Then I posted the experience on this board titled "UPS strikes again", I think. I got a lot of information and advice on how to deal with UPS. It worked too.

I keep going to them because their tracking website is very well done and easy to use. Yeah, and the challenge to see if I can actually get them to do what they are supposed to. It's also entertaining.

There is a serious element to all this though. The apparent trauma that is caused by anything associated with firearms is offensive to me and I don't tolerate it well.

Good hunting, Tom

I've read a lot lately about people having trouble with UPS and even others when it comes to shipping firearms or related items.

I don't know if it's the part of the country or what but I always go to the main terminal to ship and never to a "UPS Store".

I've never had a single problem and have always described the item as it really is and insure it for whatever I want. I figure if there's a problem and I file a claim for a $1500 action or a $6,000 gun then that's what I want them looking for when the truck wrecks.:) The lady always is friendly and never bats an eye as I've shipped barrels, bolts, bullets, optics, complete firearms and a lot of other firearm/shooting related items and she just smiles and takes care of it.

I shipped one package to Kirby and insured it for $6,000.00 and it was no problem. Just fill out the info on their computer terminal, print the label and hand it to her and in about a minute or less she has done everything, I've paid, she takes the package and I go home a happy little camper.

I've shipped and received so many guns, related parts as well as big orders of powder and or bullets that my wife thinks the Homeland Security people are gonna come visit us and never have had a problem so I guess I've been lucky from what I've read.:)

The barrel was the first balk that I got from them. The lady that time said if I was a FFl, she could do it. I explained to her that federal law did not prohibit an unlicensed individual from shipping an un-serial numbered part, but to no avail. I found out on this board that I was right and she was wrong, and how to deal with the refusal. This is a UPS terminal, not a UPS Store. I avoid them because they are more expensive.

I just don't need a FFL, so I have a friend that is who would handle a FFL shipment for me.

You must have a really good UPS terminal.

Good hunting, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.