Upgrading the stock on my savage

DXHI

Have a savage model 12..Saw bell and carlson was on sale.
Got my heart set on manners or mcMillan...but the b&C is 1/2 the price

any recommendations. Rifle will be for coyotes and prairie dogs

I have a McMillan A2 inletted with CDI botton metal, bedded with pillars. I believe I will be selling it in the near future. It is for a 4.27 action, it is black and in good shape. If you are interested let me know, possibly we can work out a deal.

Don Dunlap

I have very limited experience with both but will tell you how I feel. I used to have a Sako Tecomate which was a Sako A-7 in a Bell & Carlson stock. It had a straight comb and I liked the stock very much as it was a big improvement over the .243 Tikka T3 composite stock that I also have. I later got a custom rig with a McMillan Sako classic stock also with a straight comb which I feel is a much more solid stock than the Bell & Carlson. I also bought a Tikka T3 300 win mag and changed the stock to a McMillan Sako Hunter stock with the Monte Carlo raised cheek piece. It was a custom drop in with bedding pillars and was an exact match with a very tight fit. It is probably just a matter of personal preference but for me the McMillan Sako Hunter fits like a glove and when I throw it up to my shoulder it fits and feels perfect.

Now knowing what I have experienced personally it would depend on how much I plan to use the rifle and in what capacity. It sounds like you will be setting up to sit and snipe with the rifle on small critters so I would think the B&C would be fine and what I might go with myself but... If it is on a rifle I plan to carry a lot and have to make quick shots and a "do everything rifle", I'm going with the McMillan Sako Hunter style.

If there is a place close by that has both or a gunsmith with both in his shop it may be worth your time to try and get your hands on both to make a comparison. The B&C may fit and feel better to you.

Take a look at precision stock works. Their stock is built by McMillian so you know it is quality. I have a friend that has one and have shot his rifle. Very comfortable stock and equally versed prone or off of sticks. I have an old savage laying around that I am going to try to rebarrel and install the stock. (we'll see how that goes:D) The precision stock works stock runs in the $600 dollar range and only comes in a blind magazine configuration only, for the Savage. I have been really fond of the McMillian HTG adjustable but shooting my buddies rifle may have changed my mind. Give em' a look.

I went with a mcmillan on my savage build and it is awesome.

Attachments

• savage.jpg
    savage.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 85
Ew, a lefty!^^ :D

If you shoot a ton of prairie dogs then go for the Mcm. B&C will work, but if you've got your heart set on a particular design that B&C doesn't offer I'd go opt for the design you like. You will always be wondering. Perhaps consider a HS, again if it fits your needs.

do whatever works for your purpose and tastes. I have a lightweight 358 Savage Indiana deer rifle in a Boyds laminate, it serves its purpose well. I also have a Savage 243AI in a McMillan A3 Sporter, it is the sweetest rifle I own.

there is always the chance you could get a used stockade or SSS. i have the stockade prairie dog special on my 260 model 12. its a great stock in the same profile as a McM A5 I believe. I got it for way less than the McM and I couldn't tell you the difference.

It would be awesome if stockys started selling their new syn stocks inletted for savages. I'd imagine they'd sell a ton due to limited standard options for savages.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.