Unwanted attention at shooting ranges?

A good friend lives over on the west side of the state and in the last 30 years their range out in the country has been surrounded by houses. Of course the "neighbors" complained about the noise. They came up with a cheap fix. My friend owns a welding shop. He took two 55 gallon steel drums, cut 8" holes in both ends and welded them together. They wrapped 6" building insulation on the inside and supported it with chicken wire. they mounted these forward of each of the benches so that the first foot of your rifle barrel extends inside.
These are huge suppressors. Legal suppressors for everyone. The neighbors are happy, and the muzzle blast on the firing line is non-existent.

Well this is... interesting but if it works then great! That's actually a great idea to appease the neighbors, although if the range was there first then they really shouldn't have much of a choice. I'm assuming you're talking about the West side of SC? That's about where I am, so if you're ever going shooting there and you're friend doesn't mind some extra company, let me know.

Well I'm a little far from you. I live in the mountian's of Utah. It would be a long ride LOL, but if you ever want to hunt some really BIG elk, drop me a line..

I actually do plan on making a trip out West one of these years. Having just graduated and starting a new job makes it kinda difficult though. I'll definitely be sure to hit you up. It's cool there's people on here that are willing to do that to help out some fellow shooters.

Anytime, I don't let many people hunt my land. It is full of every game you can think of , from huge mule deer to elk, cougars, moose, bear turkey, you name it. Rite now I have 10 feet of snow on the ground. Living at 11000ft does that but you let me know be happy to have you..

I'm located in central Oregon, not SC. Yes these have worked well. They trap a lot of noise. Like a typical suppressor, you still get the sonic crack. An AR type rifle sounds like a .22LR.

A suppressor is definitely in my future, but I have to make do with what I've got right now haha.

Well this is... interesting but if it works then great! That's actually a great idea to appease the neighbors, although if the range was there first then they really shouldn't have much of a choice. I'm assuming you're talking about the West side of SC? That's about where I am, so if you're ever going shooting there and you're friend doesn't mind some extra company, let me know.

I actually do plan on making a trip out West one of these years. Having just graduated and starting a new job makes it kinda difficult though. I'll definitely be sure to hit you up. It's cool there's people on here that are willing to do that to help out some fellow shooters.
Hang around a while, you'll be surprised at the opportunities that can arise from friends made on this site.

Hang around a while, you'll be surprised at the opportunities that can arise from friends made on this site.

Yeah I'm hoping I can find someone that has a nice range or piece of land and wouldn't mind me using it for some target practice gun)

My cousin went to the local range around here with his custom 338 lapua which has a sergon action and the new AI chassis. Anyways he drew a crowd in a short amount of time and received various comments and questions about his rifle with one gentleman asking "what are you hunting...tanks"? I also got asked questions in the past about my ar-10, mainly "what caliber" and "what brand" due to the much larger receiver and mag well.

The local range here has a rule if you have a muzzle brake you can use it if no one else is on the range. If someone else wants to shoot you have to put on a suppressor.If you do not have one you have to stop shooting

I can relate, it did bother me when i was a young man. But after many years behind magnum rifles i learned to block out all noise. Its all about what i'm trying to accomplish, so i have learned to zone out. I don't hear a thing nor see anything other than my target. (tunnel vision sets in). I don't acknowledge anyone around me. The art of detaching mentally from what is around you and strictly concentrating on your goal overwhelms the reality of being surrounded by others. Mind over matter.. My 2 pennies.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.