Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA) - site rev and Association Update

ELR Researcher

Submitted by Oscar Leckliter, URSA Facilitator

The site has been revised to split "The Details" page into an "Operations" page" and an "Organization" page. A "Gallery" page has also been added and populated with pics from the May fun shoot in Virginia. The organization is now better described as having at least two "phases" with an "initial" organization and a "POSSIBLE more-long-term" organization - in the process, the role of the RD has been amplified.

● "Regional Director" (RD) - those individuals committed to and accepting responsibility for:

►Leading the regional organization

►Making it happen in their region - including finding and obtaining access to venues; recruiting associates to act in range management and support functions; and obtaining required equipment, props and consumables

►Providing ongoing on-the-ground guidance and support

►Being the focal point for communications with the rest of the URSA infrastructure, with associates in their region, and with regional governmental and non-governmental third parties.

Association update.

IMHO, we are not off to a particularly good start. After a very low turnout at the organizational meeting (in Vegas at SHOT 2014), we were only able to recruit three RDs. We were, however, fortunate to piggy back on an event already planned in Virginia. While the Virginia event went off well for the participants, it yielded no data to share with the community. Great pics and a nice narrative but no data. We had every expectation that there would be at least one additional event in VA during '14 but personal problems and extremely wet weather thoroughly messed that up. Our RD count has recently dropped from three to two and it is quite unlikely that we will have any other events until well into '15.

I have had discussions with BLM in California but that does not look likely to generate any "significant" activity until October of '15 (endangered species closures starting in April - until November - and an 180 day advance submission requirement for the required "permit"). BLM also requires both event insurance and bonding. I will be researching the costs but suffice it to say, that was never part of the game plan. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that can point me at a broker for event insurance and bonding. Please e-mail me at webmaster at unlimitedrange.org

I have identified some excellent shooting venues in Cali and will visit them again when I head out for SHOT '15 in January. I do, however, hope to pass the word regarding a non-BLM (read that, "informal") "activity" in Q1 '15. [I'm waiting on three rifle builds to have something to shoot in testing those venues.]

On the bright side, a very good and determined shooter/shooting activist is wrapping up some other obligations and is then quite likely to accept the RD slot for the Southwest Region (CA and NV). I quite realistically expect that we WILL have "activities" in both Northern and Southern California in '15 to add to those in VA.

RD recruitment is THE #1 challenge ahead - see RD def, above. Getting people to shot is a non-issue, getting them to commit to work to make it happen is an entirely different matter - IME (in my experience).

Ashbury Precision Ordnance (APO) has quite recently come on board as a "Supporter". Their Pres, Morris Peterson, has also indicated an interest in using some of their extensive inventory of Vectronix VECTOR-class LRFs to help RDs range targets/target locations for Activities...and possibly providing a "group" purchase opportunity for associates.

What's a "Supporter"?

● "Supporters" are those associated business entities which support the advancement of this sport shooting discipline and substantially endorse the Association's Objective, Focus, and General Statement of Purpose (see the URSA Operations page). Businesses interested in becoming a Supporter are encouraged to provide their company logo for inclusion on the Supporters page. Please contact webmaster at unlimitedrange.org .

What's an "Associate" (there are no members)?

● "Associate" - interested parties that participate in or otherwise work to advance the Association

Great shooting and please let me know if you are willing to step up as an RD. E-mail me at webmaster at unlimitedrange.org. Thanks for your consideration.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.