Unit 300 Montana

bjsiillinois

Was wondering if anyone had Elk hunted unit 300 in Montana, during October. Have talked to some guys that has hunted that area, most say hunt it in November when the weather gets colder. My buddy is wanting to get to bear hunt, and by November most, if not all are hibernating by then.
Was wondering how good the elk hunting would be say around early to mid October?

I hunted area 300 from 2010 to 2015. I even saw a decent bear in there about the second weekend in November one year. I stopped hunting it due to the increase in pressure over the past several years. It's a great elk area but it's actually pretty weak as far as bear hunting goes. Opening day for rifle is usually the 3rd weekend in October and it's a big day in the area. After that, the elk tend to be very scarce. Later in November they do trickle back in but you have to be on your game to find them because the competition is fierce.

We have hunted 300 Lima for years and still go on occasion. What you hear is correct... Frenzy the first week and then dies out.... You have to make sure you follow the rules as they seem to change every year. Plenty of elk and a chance for a good Mulie if you know where to get them. We always seen to tag out on one species and sometimes both with our combo tags...

I think the numbers have dropped due to the cost. I also like the fact you can hunt in Oct and then return in Nov and use the same tag... great place to hunt

So if you guys had only one opportunity to hunt there, when would you go? We're from Illinois, and will only have one chance to fill our tags. We're bringing horses to get away from the crowds, so distance isn't a factor. What part of the unit would you look? We had thought about camping at the Sawmill creek Trailhead, and concentrating on the south part of the unit, next to the Continental divide, looks like you can get away from people there.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.