Montana Unit 700-20 Bull Elk

D5A9F68B-35D2-4AF8-8C33-8AE8E2A6900B.jpeg

Try and camp on a main road and make trips in and out on the other roads. This guy left his rig where he slid off the road. It was still there 6 days later on my way out.

Started to drizzle at 4am on my last day. Took me less than 30 min to hook up the trailer and get moving. Slid backward about 150 yards on a hill that was less than 40% grade and somehow didn't jackknife the trailer as the ruts kept everything in line.

Gave it all I had with 35" muders and somehow made it back to pavement about an hour later.

Great place to hunt and if you have time the road will dry out fast if a storm comes. Just be patient or use a quad to get around like I did.

Last edited:
Drew this tag last year. Took 3 weeks off work for it. Was a great opening weekend with snow and cold and lot of elk. After that it dried up got hot and wasn't enough feed to keep em on public and hunting got real tough. Finally ended up taking a decent bull way back in on the north east side of the forest. This year is gonna be even tougher is sounds like because of the lack of vegetation and water due to the drought. 90% of the elk will be down on the river bottoms and on the private hayfields most likely. If you can find some block management close to those areas is where I'd spend most of my time.

I thought I would add,if you hunt from the water be prepared to be stranded by waves.
All told my friends and I hunted there 4 times in 6 years(some on cow permits)got stranded 3 times.
Had to walk two miles to camp,one time we paid a guy camped at Lost Creek (with a big boat & 90hp Honda to haul us to camp.
Had a cow boned in our packs and one guy was not ready for prime time!
Still a lot of fun to hunt there!