Unit 16 Colorado

Galen

Any thoughts or tips on this unit. I am hunting it the third week of October. This is also my first Elk hunt.

Don't know anything about the unit, but I will throw you a tip: when hunting at that time of the year, but prepared for 60 degree weather as well as 0 degrees and snow blowing sideways...and literally it can happen within 12 hours of the same hunt. Hopefully someone else can chime in on Unit 16 for you. What part of the country are you coming from?

Coming from Lincoln, do yourself a favor and get yourself in great shape. You are going to be jumping 7,000+ ft in altitude and the air is much thinner up there. Elk hunting also requires putting a lot of miles on your boots, so you really need to be in fantastic shape or otherwise the hunt can be difficult.

I hunted unit 13 a couple years ago for the third season. Cohunter was right, be prepared for any weather. We had 60 degree weather with sun and the next morning there was snow and 30 mph wind. 12 degrees.
Be prepared and you will have a great time, if you are not it can be dangerous. Frostbite and hypothermia are serious problems.
Fitness is a big deal in the mountains too. Get on some kind of program. Go to the gym or one of the P90 or such programs. Go to your local high school and walk up and down the bleachers then as you get better add weight. My point is do something or the mountains will burn you out in a couple days.
I live along the coast but we have some pretty good hills. I put 40lbs in a pack and walked up the closest hill three times a week and it made a huge difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.