Uni Throater on a 338

Rum Man

I'm looking at getting a 338 uni throated set up for a few barrels I have , 338 Rum and a 338 Edge and if this works I'm headed to a few 300 ultra mags !

Any help or info on experience would be great!
Thank you !

Rum Man

I did one . I rented the throating reamer from 4D reamer rentals . be sure to rent the "T" handle too . go slow these cut VERY VERY FAST . if I was to do it again I'd get the Hornady seating depth tool and a brass case . by using this you would be able to watch your progress easier .

I did a quick write up on this on another forum . if you have any questions just ask . I have a couple measurements listed wrong , but you'll get the idea .

I've got a couple for some future ideas that I have not cut with yet… everyone I've ever spoken to about them say go slow you can't hardly feel it cut and because of that it's easy to go to long.

I'm sure if you put the strong arm you could be ordering a new barrel .

The set I was looking at has the t handle correct spacer and adjustable depth .
I watched a few videos for some ideas so it's on my mind .

I have a buddy that had Defensive Edge put a 338 Edge together for him this fall . It's the +P 338 Edge , he is running the 300 gr berger 297 ft.per.sec faster the I am . I dont need to be the fastest bullet in town ...but giving up 297 ft.per.sec causes me not to Sleep ! Ha ha

I'm getting as much info as possible before I ored the uni reamer set up .
I could just send the barrel to Shawn Carlock and let him do the work ...but I have a pile of 338's I would do this to !

Not to mention a few 300 Rum's ! 😎

Thanks for the response so far !

Rum Man

Proceed at your own peril. I rented one from 4d rentals for a bolt action 223 to seat bullets long. Measured multiple times used the the Horandy tool and in a matter on minutes had twice the free bore I wanted. After inspection with a bore scope, cut was not even across all lands even though I took every precaution to go slow and keep everything centered. My advice if the barrel is a good shooter let a pro with a lathe do the work. I ended up with a new 223 AI barrel custom throated to the the bullets I wanted to shoot and it shoots light out. Typically under 1/2" at 200yds with the 80 ELD m's. My lesson learned, some things are just better left to the pros with the correct tools. Just because you can do it, dose not mean you should.

Hey Paul
Merry Christmas and have a HAPPY Healthy Prosperous New Year.
If you have a good GS by you have them do and also ask how many they done before.
If you are going to DYI get the KIT with a specific caliber and then purchase separate cutters for other calibers.
Hornady Modified Case L-N-L OAL Gauge with a good Caliper to measure. If you don't already have the Modified Cases send us two fire formed of each cartridge and we will Drill and Tap them for you.
There is a lot of UTubes and instructional info out on the internet. Study as much as you can before attempting. Then if you have a burnt out barrel -practice on it.
Doing it on a Lathe is the best way to go and doing by hand you need to be steady and SLOW. These Reamers cut FAST. Use a good gauge to measure where your lands are at and determine how much more FB you want/need for the specific bullet you want to use.
Measure twice cut once. Do this several times until you get the needed depth. SLOW and STRAIGHT. There are several stories on LRH where a DYI messed up their barrel and I have other shooter tell me the same. I also heard Positive stories where they did it right.
You don't want to be the DYI that said " I used the Reamer twice (three times) and the Throat is still too LONG".
Good luck and if we can help out in any way give us a call.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Thanks Len !
Hope you both are doing good this Christmas!
Looks like up here we are going to get hit hard with Weather .

I have several barrels to practice on and there is a great Gun Smith close to me .
I'm still thinking about the benefits of this! Oh and the pit falls too !

I hope you and Jill have a great Christmas and New Years !
Thanks Again !

Rum Man

there are 2 brass nuts on the reamer .these two nuts jam together and act as a stop to keep you from going to far . DO NOT trust them . I had the brass nuts come loose and twist up the reamer as I used the reamer .this happened a couple times . this could have caused a much too long throat . I only cut a little and then checked my progress . I believe slow and cautious will win this project .

when cutting I'd only feel a click or two and the reamer would turn easy . that would be .015 or .020 cut . throats cut so easy it's scary .

+P is not just a longer throat, its also stepped into the lands, I believe they essentially take the lands from .004" height to .002" for a section just ahead of the chamber. (don't quote me on that). Yes you will gain some case volume by being able to seat bullets out farther but the claim by defensive edge is their design helps bleed off chamber pressure.