Under 1/2 MOA with Sierra 52gr match

Iron Worker

Ok I want to hunt coyote's this weekend. No more time for range testing. Hornady A-max produces 3/4"moa Sierra 52gr match produces under a Half MOA at 100yds.I suppose the difference in MOA is not an issue when shooting at a Coyote,beings the A-max is built tougher.WhaT say yee shooters of the world? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I want to hunt coyote's this weekend. No more time for range testing. Hornady A-max produces 3/4"moa Sierra 52gr match produces under a Half MOA at 100yds.I suppose the difference in MOA is not an issue when shooting at a Coyote,beings the A-max is built tougher.WhaT say yee shooters of the world? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Oh caliber is 22-250AI 4,000 FPS both types of bullets

[ QUOTE ]
beings the A-max is built tougher.

[/ QUOTE ]

in my limited experience the smks have a thicker jacket and dont explode as much as the amax's. both are going to give you good sized exits depending on impact velocitys.

d-a

[ QUOTE ]
"...beings the A-max is built tougher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so. This particular A-Max is no different than it's 50 and 55 grain brothers.

I shoot both the 50 and the 52... and there is no difference - it'll come apart like a handgrenade.

Doubt it??? Call Hornady.

We have used Sierra 52 grain MatchKings for quite a while for coyotes. They are really nice if you are looking to save pelts. We shoot them out of .223's though, around 3,200 fps. They make a small entrance hole, and we have yet to have one exit.

Coyote1.jpg

Coyote3.jpg

Coyote4.jpg

Cool so the bullet blows up inside? Shot a yote at 341 yds with 87gr V-Max looked like he was struck by lightening but no exit? Hey Awesome pictures where are you guys ? How cold is it? Time of year? What call brought them in?

When I hunted dogs with my 22-250 all I used was the 52 grain HPBT. On the shots 100 yards and farther the pelt damage was fairly minimal, but the closer shots were pretty graphic. But I guess if a guy was mostly concerned with saving pelts he wouldn't be using the 22-250, maybe the 223.

Not tanned pelts. We skinned the coyotes and then turned the pelts inside out and rubbed them with salt. This will preserve the hides, but not as well as tanning.

They were shot South of Plentywood, Montana. The dog on right was shot about a year before the other. Both were shot by my Grandpa with his .223, a Remington 788. I am holding a Winchester M670 in .270, which was my 'yote gun at the time. (An excellent coyote cartridge...just ask Elmer Keith /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) Range was ~150 for the bigger dog and ~100 for the smaller one.

The call we used is an old wounded rabbit call that my Grandpa has had forever. I have no clue as to what brand or model.

Iorn Worker........

I think that the Sierra 52's will be just fine, but the A max is more explosive.

I shot the Sierra 55g BTHP in my 22/250 AI on yotes. It did not tear up the yotes real bad and gave excellent penetration on quartering shots. Sierra uses the same match jacket(sorted for concentricity) on the 52 and 55g bullet.

My greatest fear was hitting a shoulder blade or a rear hip joint and the bullet blowing up, which did happen with the Speer 52g HP shot out of a 22/250 with 38.0g of H380 and a 75g Speer Hp shot out of a 6mm Rem with 46.0g of 760.

Also, don't over look the standard Sierra 55g Spt, it is a great coyote bullet.

In my 22/250 AI, 27" Hart barrel, I shot 45.5g of Win 760 with a Fed primer in Rem or PMC cases, bullets touching the lands. With this load, I usually shot around .350 @ 4150 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.