UltraSonic Cleaners

pawlak1948

Does anyone have any experience with using UltraSonic Cleaners to prep brass and clean reloading equipment or gun parts? I am thinking of purchasing one instead of a vibratory/tumbler for brass cleaning. Seems to me that the UltraSonic Cleaner would have a lot of uses if it works as advertised. Thanks John

I haven't used them on guns or brass (too much $$$ for me!!) but I did use them in the military for cleaning electrostatic precipitators for ventilation systems on the sub I was on. Hot water + 20kHz = squeaky clean!! It really worked about 5x better using the special ionic soap that was designed to work in an ultrasonic sink. General purpose detergent was better than nothing, but not by much. I'm sure they don't just give that stuff away either. I'm thinking it would get brass all nice and clean, inside and out pretty easily, from what I saw it handle.

HTH,

Monte

JMP...

I bought one to clean the ash out of primer pockets. I was very disappointed.

It was a 250 watt unit, and it would take about 20 minutes to clean 40 cases, and the cases had to be stood up in the basket so the primer pockets were facing down.

If you get a unit, make sure that it is over 1000 watts.

CatShooter.

I have used them to clean everything you said (& triggers, bolt bodies, etc) and what they work great on is dislodging minute particles, grime and grease. If want to use it for baked on carbon or primer residue, well the results were less than then expected. It did not work well for me and I would let them "dwell" in the unit up to 4 hrs. In my past life its purpose was for cleaning fuel nozzles and very fine fuel filters..

Would I spend the money on one, No. But if I had one to use, I would use it...

Nodak

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.