Ultra Light Stock Recommendation

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 6x47lapua, Nov 7, 2018.

1. 6x47lapua

6x47lapua Active Member

I have the itch to have a new gun built. Currently I have all custom, heavy long range guns. I want to build an ultra light mountain rifle. I know nothing about this arena. I need recommendations for a very light stock, one weighed in ounces not pounds. I want a stiff, high quality stock. It will have pillars and proper bedding added. Are they made from fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc ? I don’t care what the cost is if it’s very light and capable of being part of an accurate rifle.

Also, I’ve never had good luck with accuracy from thin barrels. Should I risk going thin (less than .600 muzzle) or keep the muzzle diameter heavier and just go shorter length?

I’d appreciate any feedback, web links or opinions.

Thanks in advance.

2. Smokepoles

Smokepoles Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

These are 6lb 8oz and 6lb 9oz with rings. No need to go skinny bbl the proofs are accurate as all get out. If you go with a stainless action you’ll be in the 7lb range +\- a few oz. accuracy is great with the lightweights but a bipod seems to work better than bags for me when shooting from the bench, there’s not a lot of weight up front to ride the bags well in my experience.
    Any manners eh or Mcmillan edge fill stock will weigh around 30oz +\- a few. Just choose what fits you best. They have carbon fiber shells.
    9A43FF3B-3A5A-41D1-B7CB-6C8639A460CB.jpeg 04CA29B2-2D28-4951-BD19-5113593BEA78.jpeg

Barrelnut likes this.
  3. adam32

adam32 Well-Known Member

Brown, MPI (if you can find one), and Pendleton all make lightweight stocks that are actually lightweight, unlike the McMillans and Manners.

Definitely skip the Proof's if you want a truly lightweight rig also.

Lightweight means different things to different folks.

jrock likes this.
  4. Weatherby Fan

Weatherby Fan Well-Known Member

Wildcat Composite stocks out of Alberta Canada, one of the very best ultralight stocks made, Ive used a cpl dozen of them
    Call Stu he’s a great guy to deal with.

jmcmath and Hand Skills like this.
  5. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

What do they weigh?

6. ruby76

ruby76 Well-Known Member

TG-5150 and adk hunter like this.
  7. dirtytough

dirtytough Active Member

I'm trying to put an ultralight together and plan to use an MPI stock. Also you will get a lighter weight barrel using a steel barrel then a carbon. But the carbon is probably going to be stiffer. Also if you use a carbon barrel a lot of times you have to have a thicker fore end on your stock for it to look right then with a small contour steel barrel which adds a few ounces. So if you use a steel barrel the barrel and the stock should be lighter then if you go carbon barrel.

Thats what I've found looking into building an ultralight rifle.

jrock and Barrelnut like this.
  8. dirtytough

dirtytough Active Member

Just looked at the wildcat site and and they have some good looking stocks for a good price.

9. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

I have spoken quite a bit with wildcat and that’s 100% where I would go for a true ultralight stock.

10. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

I think the stock answer is an easy one, Brown Precision.

257steiny likes this.
  11. 6x47lapua

6x47lapua Active Member

I thought the entire point of carbon fiber was that it was lighter than steel? I’ll give MPI a call tomorrow. Thanks

12. Iceman83

Iceman83 Active Member

Just did a Christensen Arms 7mm with a McMillan Game Hunter carbon ambush that finished out at 7lb 12oz Loaded
    7 3/4lbs is the complete gun-- rifle ,scope,rings, rail and 4 rds (bipod not included)
    Stocked weighed 26.4oz
    IMG_20181104_102738_105.jpg
    20181101_173656.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    coop22250, 26Reload and BEEMAN like this.
  13. adam32

adam32 Well-Known Member

Lighter than steel of a comparable diameter...

Let us know if MPI answers the phone.

14. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

Carbon barrels are just steel barrels countoured to pencil/ultralight in the middle then wrapped in carbon.

So a pencil steel barrel will be the lightest.