Ultra light b&c stocks

bretterath

I'm building a light weight hunting rig and plan on putting on one of those ultra light stocks by bell&carlson has any one used the ultra light stocks at all. If any one has good idea on components for a light weight hunting rig feel free to share.i just ordered a #3 sporter bartlein barrel, going to flute barrel and bolt, trying to get rifle to weigh about 7&1/2 pounds without scope, any ideas??

I'm building a light weight hunting rig and plan on putting on one of those ultra light stocks by bell&carlson has any one used the ultra light stocks at all. If any one has good idea on components for a light weight hunting rig feel free to share.i just ordered a #3 sporter bartlein barrel, going to flute barrel and bolt, trying to get rifle to weigh about 7&1/2 pounds without scope, any ideas??

I put one on my 700 in 375 ultra and its a very nice stock. I like it a lot. What action are you building on?

You won't have any problem making 7.5 lbs. My light weight goes 6.8 without scope, and that with a 4 taper. It is built on a Stiller Predator action and Manners stock. I have only used one Bell & Carlson stock, and it seemed like a fine stick.
One thing my gunsmith suggested with aluminum bedding blocks was to mill out around the recoil lug and bed it. He also suggested we skim bed the receiver. So far that particular rifle holds half MOA pretty nicely out around the 1K mark.
I have posted the light weight.

Attachments

• IMAG0314.jpg
    IMAG0314.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 109
COBRAD i ordered a #3 sporter bartlein barrel that comes in at 3.5 lbs. I will probally get the b&c stock with a rem 700 LA but i was thinking of a titanium action but was wondering if it would be front heavy, with out a titanium action do you think i could get 7.5 lbs with the components, i know i dont have a bottom metal in there.

Without actually looking up weights for any of your components, yes, I do believe you should reach your weight without problem.
I had a rifle built several years ago using a Rem 700 long action, #4, 24" Pac-Nor barrel with a brake on the end making it 26", and a McMillan Griffin & Howe pattern stock with what they called "light" fill at the time. The rifle weighed an even 7# bare.
I hope you will show us what you end up with when it is completed.

Why not just buy the Savage Ultra Light. 5.5lbs for the short action and 6.5lbs for the long action. If you go titanium, then you should go with a carbon fiber barrel, and 7075 rings and base.

I have the bell and carlson alaska II ti stock on a remington sa. I'm very happy with it. Quality , fit , and stiffness is good. Stockys has them for about $215 if I remember correctly.I got it in green with black web and I think it looks sharp.

I have one of those B&C lightweight stocks. Put a Predator long action with a Hart barrel in a factory magnum taper. With the brake it weighs exactly 8 lbs. The scope will put it at 10 and with the rings, bases and bullets, should be a bit under 11. After walking 8 miles during last Thursday's elk opener with a 12.5lb rifle, I'll be glad to take some weight reduction...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.