UCO Candle lantern for breaking the chill in cold weather.

Aviator

anybody ever use one of these in your backpacking tent for winter camping? Just to raise the temp a few degrees?

Hey huntsman, I agree it probably wouldn't be much just thought it might keep the condensation dried up a little. are you elk hunting this year?

Yep had an REI version in tent for 20+ years, motorcycle camping. North Face dome tent, hangs from loop at domes peak. Okay light but, the heat was only in thought probably 50W of heat. Coleman gas mantle does put out heat, if ya can handle the hissing sound. Last 10 years or so bought a military surplus Germany Firehand, 60's vintage kerosene lantern, no noise and a little free heat. Good luck hunting!!

anybody ever use one of these in your backpacking tent for winter camping? Just to raise the temp a few degrees?
To be honest never used this one, but was a survival instructor in the Army. When doing winter training we would use candles to provide heat in the snow cave shelters we would dig for overnight camping out in the cold. A ground cover underneath of the sleeping bag, backpack to plug the opening to the outside and a candle to take the chill off the air without melting the snow. Another thing is that supposedly no matter how cold it is outside the temp in a snow cave is supposed to be around 32 degrees F to begin with. Never took a thermometer to check that theory out but it was always a lot warmer in the cave than outside. The one thing that I didn't particularly like about using the candle was the exposed flame. These little candle lanterns would have added a lot of safety to burning a candle in a snow cave. Check out this video. This guy went to more trouble than we did, ours were not so elaborate but worked on the same principle.

I have a backpacking lantern, or maybe its a compact lantern, that runs on propane that will heat up my Hilleberg nallo 3 pretty good. Not very compact since it uses those "coleman" propane cylinders. I was considering the UCO in the past just never got one. I think the brand is primus.

I have a backpacking lantern, or maybe its a compact lantern, that runs on propane that will heat up my Hilleberg nallo 3 pretty good. Not very compact since it uses those "coleman" propane cylinders. I was considering the UCO in the past just never got one. I think the brand is primus.
Do you know what model primus your using?

Not off hand, but it only has a2-3 inch diameter globe, I'll try to find it and post link. Had it for 10 years or so.

Edit: it's not any of the new or current ones offered and I probably only paid $20 for it back in the day.

Edit, edit: found it, it's the century primos mighty lite model 5400.
20221005_201259.jpg

Last edited:
With candles there needs to be very little venting or all the heat dissipates. Not none of course but if your rain fly is flapping all you really have is ambiance.

Not off hand, but it only has a2-3 inch diameter globe, I'll try to find it and post link. Had it for 10 years or so.

Edit: it's not any of the new or current ones offered and I probably only paid $20 for it back in the day.

Edit, edit: found it, it's the century primos mighty lite model 5400.View attachment 399203
Thanks

Edit, edit: found it, it's the century primos mighty lite model 5400.View attachment 399203
I think that this one, while I am sure will heat up a tent very nicely would be a bit too hot for a snow cave.