Twofer Plus One = 3

Double Naught Spy

I have this sounder that vexes me at my place. My daughter says that they have me patterned. They come once or twice every 2-4 weeks, usually not back to back days, and then don't show up for another 2-4 weeks. They usually come anywhere from a couple hours after dark to just before sunrise. On Monday, they showed up much earlier than normal (clocks not changed for DST) and then hit another feeder on the property early Tuesday morning. After dropping my daughter off at swim, I headed out to hunt, thinking I would be there and hour or two before the hogs returned, assuming they returned around the same time.

Nope. I had been in the stand maybe 20 minutes when they showed up.

The 6.5 Grendel Hornady SST 123 gr. is not hide friendly and is not immature pig head friendly either.

[ame]https://youtu.be/a-4o_HxNsgU[/ame]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-4o_HxNsgU&feature=youtu.be

Awesome shooting! The Grendel with SSTs is certainly an effective round on hogs as is your set up with thermal imaging.

Congrats - Jack

good job staying on target with their heads still moving around as they were settling in. also a sign of experience picking out a single after they flushed rather than shooting into the 'covey' as i sometimes do when i get too excited!

Nice shooting!

You must be in an area that is overrun with hogs. You video looks like it was taken on a hog farm!

Does anyone clean up the hog blood after a kill? A few years ago, I was present when 6 hogs were dispatched when they were caught in a trap. The guys I was with swore that one has to clean up the hog blood, or other hogs won't come back for a while. I've seen live hogs eat dead hogs, so I don't think it matters that much.

LOL, no hog farm. My little 46 acres is bordered by woods and cattle ranches. This is a sounder that seems to come through almost randomly. Apparently, those are mostly all piglets from the spring, LOL.

I think the hog blood thing is a myth. No, we don't clean it up. Heck, hogs sometimes eat other dead hogs as well. Depending on the weather, there is a good chance that ants have cleaned up the blood already.

There sure seems to be a lot of lore about blind hogs that can smell acorns 15 feet underground and that fear hog blood, especially the ones with armor and thick heads that stop .30-06 rounds. :D

There sure seems to be a lot of lore about blind hogs that can smell acorns 15 feet underground and that fear hog blood, especially the ones with armor and thick heads that stop .30-06 rounds. :D

Now that's funny, and unfortunately a firmly held belief by some..

Tonight while hunting on my friends ranch in southern Oklahoma a large sounder of 20-30 hogs came out of the deep creek bottom near a large hay field.

It was right at dark and I was able to only dispatch 2 of them with 4 shots. Pretty tough to see and make good shots at the running bunch of them.

They only ran about 100 yards into a near by woods and stopped. All I could make out is some milling around black shadows so no more shooting was available.

Just wait for tomorrow night!

BTW, I was using a really old cartridge with a heavy bullet that should never be used in modern times because its not a magnum! 9.3x62 all the way.

Chopperguy,

Any photos? Unfortunately, the questionable characters on this board have caused us to question claims without photos. :)

I'm interested in seeing what damage a 9.3x62 would cause on a hog. I like the use an "odd" cartridge. I have a thing for older guns.

for some reason I can't post a pic without a link to photo host and here at the ranch I barely have service so no pics until back in better service after Thanksgiving.

The rifle I use here isn't an old one - A Sauer 303 with a 5 round mag using Norma 232 grain factory loads. It's topped with a Swarovski Z6i 1.5-6 with BRT reticle. The fast follow up shots made it easy to take 2 of them even though is was the very last light. The illuminated reticle allowed me to see where to place the shots.

The 9.3x62 with 232 and 250 grain loads has served me VERY well from the African minis to eland, musk ox and elk. Plus, I've used it on many deer and hogs. It is good medicine without much recoil. I it were legal where I've hunted Cape Buffalo, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Well, the new rifle (Sauer 303) with an old cartridge (9.3x62) has done very well on varmints this week accounting for 7 hogs, 3 coyotes and 2 skunks total so far with 13 shots fired. (Took a second shot to get a coyote at 336 yards, sorry. Story of this posted under the coyote hunting thread.)

Here's some of the hogs. The 303s fast follow up capability has allowed for more than one hog taken from each sounder encountered.

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

Well done! I'm sure those photos will satisfy the blood thirsty bunch on here.

I've with family for the rest of the week, so I'll have to get my hog fix through this site.

don't know what caliber that is, but i bet it doesn't leave much room for discussion after it hits something.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts