Mulefooted Sow Plus Two Regular Boars

Another nice video!

I'm asking everyone I know how I can snake my way down to my hunting spot. The flooding from last week has wiped out roads and washed out bridges to the point that it may take a few weeks for the DOT to get the roads repaired. I think I'll be on the sidelines watching this board to satisfy my hog hunting itch for a while.

Not to worry. Part of the reason I have that big brass catcher on there is to recover live rounds ejected so that I don't have to spend time searching the weeds for them. What is missing from the video is the time for that and getting the rifle reattached to my sling as I had trouble getting the QD button depressed for insertion with my gloves on. Given that the mic is on the rifle, that translates into a lot of very loud noises that don't appear to make sense with what is happening in the video (which was a bunch of gray flashing with nothing in focus).

when i saw the post about the mule footed sow, i thought it was going to be a post about pakk's date. sorry. my bad.

noticed the vid displayed a zeus 4. is that like the zeus 3 but a little bigger and better or is that getting into specialized scopes for longer ranges?

congrats on another good kill
cheers_zpsit7c8qka.gif

The Zeus Pro 4x has the same Tau2 640x512, 17 micron microbolometer, some additional firmware and electronics for refining the image, and in this case has a much larger lens (100mm) which makes a significant difference, especially at distance.

I am still waiting for a chance at some 200+ yard hunting. I did the range work to verify drop out to 250 yards, but so far, targets have been much closer.

Mulefootedness is no more a trait of Russian boars than being a pig is a trait of Russian boars, I am afraid. As an occurrence, the earliest documented animals go back to Aristotle as the condition is a recessive gene mutation (very rare) but as with any other mutation or genetic phenotype, can be bred for just like size, horn twists, color, etc. and hence the mulefoot breed that was so popular in the past.

It is reported that the Spanish brought over some mulefooted hogs in the 1600s or thereafter.

So while mulefootedness can occur in Eurasian boars as it can with their descendants (domestic hogs and feral hogs), it is not an identifying trait of Eurasian influence or genetics.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.