Two OAL standards per cartridge

ricka0

Suppose your 338 prefers a long 300gr bullet .020 off the lands, and this doesn't allow use of the mag - and you're going griz hunting (OK, elk hunting but you still want to get off a 2nd shot).

Why not load two groups. Optimal single shot loads and optimal mag fed cartridges. You could even use your co-workers nail polish to mark them.

when i did this i didn't have any change in POI although 200 yds was the greatest distance i tested .accuracy wasn't as good with the shorter,mag rounds in my gun.i used permanent marking ink on the bullets to mark them.

I finally remembered! Marked the case head of bullets with finger nail polish back in 1972. You will need to buy a bottle of finger nail polish remover in order to get the flakes of polish off of your bolt face. The polish never comes out of the indentations of the case head lettering.

I suggest a Sharpie, it will have less "thickness" of the flakes transferred to the bolt face. I never tried fingernail polish any where else on the case but I would not recommend it on a place where it would transfer to the inside of the chamber.

I learned many lessons the hard way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This is exactly what I have setup for my 300WM with 220 smks. A long load with 4831 (for close range precision shooting), a short load with 4831 (for mag feed hunting) and a long load with H1000 that has less ES than the 4831 loads when I am killing paper, and need less vertical. I would reccomend marking the bullets, not the case however. Color the ogive, forward of the bearing surface with a pair of different colored sharpies to distinguish loads. Depending on how deep you have to seat the bullets to fit the mag, you may have to change charge weights in order to keep the same velocity, and to be able to use the loads interchangabely.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.