Actions that will feed long OAL cartridges - 338 - 375 project

Pinzgauer

Hello;

I have hit a slight impasse in my .338 - .375 Ruger rifle build and thought that someone in the LRH.com community might have some advice.

It looks like an OAL for the 338-375 with 300 grain Sierra Match Kings would be about 3.65 - 3.85 inches.

Will a standard long action Win Model 70 or Rem M 700 action feed such long cartridges?

What actions do you advise?

Will this project require a magnum length action?

Originally I wanted to use a Model 70 Classic that I have for this project but am now considering the use of a push feed action to help out with single cartridge feeding. (The M 70 can be saved for a 35 Whelan build).

Is there a database of maximum OAL cartridge length that various actions will feed?

The SAAMI database does not jive with some other databases (Cartridges of the World 11 or Ammo Guide Interactive.com).

Thanks,

Mike B

Last edited:
Hi any magnum length action will work a mag length Win action would be fine bet I prefer a Rem 700 if you geta sps for an ultramag it should work perfectly to feed the round you want to make.

then get a factory 338 win mag barrel and chamber it for your 338-375 ruger and you will be good to go.

I personaly would just use a 338 Ultramag just a tiny bit more capacitybut cheeper to build but each to their own.

Cheers Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.