twist rate question 7 mag

wc870

Im sure this has been asked many a time before so please forgive me, I was lucky enough to score a HS Precision rifle in 7mm Rem mag, it has a 9.5 twist, 26" barrel, looking to find out what length/weight bullet i can go up to. this will primarily be used for elk, i was specifically looking at the 175 Nosler Accubond. not to start any kind of crazy debate but i am open to suggestions on any good elk bullet/loads to save a little time and money at the range
Thanks in advance Wc

P.s. this is my first 7mm, the elk I have shot up to this point have been with the 30'06 and 300win, never had a problem but they were factory rifles with the kind of accuracy you would expect from them, I was going to build a 300win elk rifle when I came across this HS rifle. So hopefully this fits the bill for extending my range

You should be fine with the 175 grain bullets. If they don't work for you, look into the Berger 168s, Nosler 160 Accubonds and 162's from Hornady, they all work great in in a 7 RM .

.....I was lucky enough to score a HS Precision rifle in 7mm Rem mag, it has a 9.5 twist, 26" barrel, looking to find out what length/weight bullet i can go up to. this will primarily be used for elk, i was specifically looking at the 175 Nosler Accubond..... /QUOTE]

It should stabilize the 175 Accubond. Some of the bullet companies list twist rates, but either Google twist rate calculator, and you'll get a couple of choices, or just go to Berger's site and use their calculator. Pretty simple to use.

I have a 7rm with a 1in 9 twist and it will accurately handle anything from 139sp to 175sp. Although the best shooting here is with 150grsp. For hunting I load it up with 150 grn ETIP, CCI250 primers and 67.0 grn IMR7828, (FL sized seated 50thou from groves) witch is a hot load so, if you wish to try it out start at 64.0 and work up.
I have used this on quite a few white tail and 1 moose all 1 shot kills. The deer dropped on the spot and the moose traveled less than 20 yards (the moose was just a shade over 100 yard shot)

Barnes LRX line of bullets are real good. I use the 145 LRX in my 7mm Wea mag. Great bullet and accuracy. I would imagine the 168 LRX would be even better for long range but my twist is 1/10 and will not stabalize this bullet. I tried them.I believe Barnes recommends a 1/8 for this bullet. All in all the 145 works great for me.

I have a 9" twist 7mm RM and it shoots 180 Berger Hybrids really well. Shot an elk about a week ago. Performance was as expected. I've shot it out to 1000 yds plus and the 9 twist with 180's is fine.

thanks for the info, much appreciated, I will go ahead and order up my bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.