264 Mag - 140 Berger -Twist rate

rkcolt45

I just built a 264 mag with a #8 contour Krieger with a 1:8.5 twist. Has anyone had any experience loading this bullet (140gr Berger hunting VLD) with this twist? I was wondering if it would stablize it. The berger site recommends a 1:8 twist for the 140gr hunting VLD. Thanks, Ron

Last edited:
IMO you should be good to go. The difference in RMP between an 8.5" twist and an 8" twist is only 16,141RPM or 269 Revolutions per second with a MV of 3,000 FPS, which is very attainable for a 264 Win Mag with even a 24" barrel. An 8 twist is ideal, but IMO you should still be inside the envelope of stability. FWIW I shoot the 140 Berger VLD hunting bullet out of my 6.5/06 with a 9 twist at 2,900 FPS and shoot consistent .6MOA. Without a doubt when I re-barrel the rifle it will get an 8 twist but for now I'm ok with it as a hunting gun. YMMV

A few years back, I spoke with Jeremy Winters (former BOTW staff) at the Denver Sportsman's Expo about the twist they were running in their 6.5-284. He said they were only using a 9 twist. They shot just fine in my old 264wm barrel with a 9 twist. I have since gone to an 8 twist.

I wore out a .264 Win. Mag. barrel shooting Norma 139-gr. FMJBT nickel plated match bullets in its 1:10 twist. 'Twas very accurate for 640 rounds then went from 1/2 MOA at 600 yards to 2 MOA in three shots. Its throat had eroded far enough that bullets were barely held by the case neck to just touch the lands when seated.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.