243 twist rate question

jsthntn247

I've got a early 90's model Rem 243 adl with 22" barrel. It shoots the 95gr Berger hunting hybrids well but most shots are close where I hunt and thick. I almost lost a buck 2 weeks ago when I got no exit and no blood. Since then I have been trying to get the 100 grain interlocks and partitions to shoot with 0 luck. I have found what seems to be a node for both of them but neither is consistent. Out of 3 shots 2 will be close and one might be 1" off or 4" off in any direction and could happen on any shot in the string. Ive never had a bullet that didn't stabilize but would this be happening if the bullets were marginally stable? I believe this gun is a 9.25 twist.

Your bullets actually are marginally stable, especially in this cold.
But intermittent flyers like that isn't stability.
I suspect a bedding/action screw tightness/stock issue. That is, unless something changed with the scope. Then again, any grease/lube around the firing pin may be hardening in the cold.

Just a lot of things can change in the cold to cause flyers.

I use 80 grain Barnes TTSX in my .243 win. (9.25 twist) with great success, I've killed whitetail from 10 yards to over 400 yards with them. I load them over 45.5 grains of H4350 and a CCI #200 primer which produces an average velocity of 3405 in my rifle which has a 24" barrel. All deer that I have killed with this load have gone less than 50 yards and many have dropped right there. This load is the listed maximum on the Barnes website and their book it works in my rifle but may not work in another rifle, always use caution and reduce loads by 10% to start. When I started loading for this rifle I could not get 100 partitions to shoot well at all never tried other 100 grain bullets before going to the TTSX.

I suspect the problem is either mechanical (rifle problem) or your load isn't working. I shot 100 grain flatbase cup/core bullets in my 243Win with no problem at all ( sub .25MOA) and it had a 1/10" twist barrel. It flat out didn't like boattail bullets in this weight though.

I agree that the problem is the rifle rather than the load, I would first free float the barrel and remove that pressure pad near the end of the tip of the stock, bed the recoil lug of the rifle and then thoroughly clean the barrel removing all copper and fouling. Disassemble the bolt and clean that firing pin as Mikecr says. Double check rings, bases and all screws. And double check the scope, it may be broken.

I've owned several and do have a couple of .243s and they are easy to get to shoot with most bullets except for the 105g Berger vlds. the twist isn't fast enough.

Your twist is a 1-9.25" for sure and will stabilize the bullet.

You also failed to mention what powder you are using and what temperature you are shooting these test loads. Some powders are extremely sensitive to temperature, especially Reloader and IMR and some Hodgdon Ball powders and may need to be approached differently for coldweather shooting.

A Good powder is H4895 or a H414 with a Magnum primer for cold weather shooting.

Hope this helps,

Dan

if you want an exit- use a barnes or barnes type bullet. the 100 grain hornady, sierra or nosler are all great. i particullary like the 95 grain partiton but the others have been great. besides deer and antelope , i have killed a couple of elk with a .243. i used I 4350 42.0 and lapua brass, 210M and either a 95 partition or a 100 grain hornady ; 030 off.. many powders will work I4320 , H/I 4895 H/I 4350 ; Varget, I 4064....... the list goes on.....make sure your trigger has been adjusted; your barrel and a good scope mounted. the .243, i have found to be an accurate and deadly round.

If you are hunting at short distances you should shorten the bullet as well. Shorter is lighter and lighter is faster so you need to go the solid copper bullets. In a .243" bore with a 9.25" twist (38 caliber twist) it is actually slower than a 30-06 with a 10" twist (32.5 calibers).

We use this method when professional hunters have to follow up game in dense vegetation and it works well.

Out of frustration I loaded a few up with 40 and 41.5 gr of imr 4350 ( both shot well with 95 hunting hybrids) before I gave up on the partitions. 40 shot .75" and 41.5 was under .5". Guess the gun just doesn't like hybrid 100v and flat base bullets for some reason, it would put 3 bergers in one hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.