Twist rate for Berger 215 300 PRC??

Colin78

Working on getting parts together for a 22" 300PRC and would like to shoot the Berger 215 hybrids. I'm thinking 1:8 twist. should be good right? The website says 1:10 or faster and the stability calculator says it's very stable with 1:8. Looking for real world experience with anyone shooting the Berger 215's out of a 1:8 and preferably a 300 PRC.

I would also do a 1/8 which is what I did on my 30 Sherman 300 PRC improved. I really prefer more twist. Especially it give you option to shoot heavy monos if you ever decide. I'm able to stabilize 214 hammers with mine. So it will easily stable the better and that should help with on game performance also.
In the future if you find a bullet that fits your needs better you have options. So yes 1/8 for sure.

Working on getting parts together for a 22" 300PRC and would like to shoot the Berger 215 hybrids. I'm thinking 1:8 twist. should be good right? The website says 1:10 or faster and the stability calculator says it's very stable with 1:8. Looking for real world experience with anyone shooting the Berger 215's out of a 1:8 and preferably a 300 PRC.
8 is fast for 215s!
I'd go 9

That Berger should fly real good with a 9 twist - is 2800 fps too slow?

Screenshot (788).png

I shoot all sorts of heavy .308 bullets in my 10 twist .300 WM real good.

Last edited:
9 for sure. No need to over twist them at all. And heavy monos suck, so no need to have a twist fast enough to shoot those either IMO.
I disagree but I wasn't specifically talking about now. I was think since I've built some rifles how new bullets have come out that I wish I had the twist for. My .257 for sure and was thinking more in line with if they launch a heavier bullet that had crazy bc. Thinking say Berger comes out or Hornady with a extremely slippers 250 or more heavyweight. You are correct 9 will do but I don't see any downside in more twist. Could it possibly separate the jacket?

I got a 1 in 8 in a 28inch proof and had it done up just for the 215 gr berger and with 77.5 grs of H-1000 I was getting 2978 - 3009 ft speed 1/2moa and better at 100 yards and trued at 1100 yards with some groups 4 1/2 to 8 inches at that range

I just built me a 30 Nosler and a buddy built a 300prc. Both shooting 215's and both 10 twist. But the current trend is to over twist everything.

Both shoot them great and both pushing them 2900 out of 22" proof barrels. Both also still have less than 100 rounds on them. There is a node I can get to higher on the Nosler but it's shooting so well it seemed pointless.