Turrets block brass from ejecting. Ever see this before?

Smokepoles

Long story short I picked up an xbolt in 300wsm to pack for elk this year, slapped a 42mm hd5 in medium rings on it and hit the range. No matter where I position the scope the brass bounces off the turret and falls back in the ejection port. I don't think hi rings would make enough of a difference to fix it and the extractor seems to be spitting them out as low as possible. Anyone seen this or have any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 44
Thanks guys, that was my first thought but I think it'd only help if it raised the height by a lot. Ill play with it some more today but I don't think I could shoot it if the scope was further back than the rings allow. Unfortunately I'm not sure this combination is going to work.

Well after high rings didn't fix it I sat a 3-9 with tiny capped turrets on it and have the same issue. A quick Google search proved it to be a common issue with them. I have one in 270 that has proven to be an excellent rifle but I guess it doesn't like the fat wsm cases.

On my Stiller Rem 700 clone they used a m16 style extractor and I was having trouble with brass ejecting into the windage turret. There's a modification that I was able to do to the extractor that took care of the problem.

Attachments

• StillerBoltFace.jpg
    StillerBoltFace.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 105
These come filed on the opposite side. The lgs here said if it is a known issue they may be able to give me a refund, I'm going to bring it in today before I play with anything. Something tells me I'll be trading it in if that doesn't go through. I'm a little worried after reading about this on multiple wsm guns from them. It seems like the bottom of the ejection port could use some filing to let the case eject at a lower angle. if all else fails you can bet I'll be playing with that extractor tho!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 71
well I just hung up with browning, it is a known issue due to the fat case. Theyre answer is to try high rings and be happy with it hitting the scope as long as it doesn't land back in the rifle... Not exactly what you'd want to hear from a manufacturer. I've never owned a browning until the 270 x bolt I bought before this and I am very happy with the performance of that rifle but obviously the wsm strikes again in this case. I hope anyone looking to buy one of those reads this before making the same mistake I did. So for my next question, do any of you have any experience with the newer model 70s in a wsm or recommend a reliable wsm capable rifle (other than tikka)? I will buy a savage and replace the god awful stock if no other good options come along. I'd love to try a 700 but have heard a lot of negative about current barrel performance. I need to get a rock chucker figured out now so I have time for load development before the hunt and don't want to have any more issues. Thanks guys.

well I just hung up with browning, it is a known issue due to the fat case. Theyre answer is to try high rings and be happy with it hitting the scope as long as it doesn't land back in the rifle... Not exactly what you'd want to hear from a manufacturer. I've never owned a browning until the 270 x bolt I bought before this and I am very happy with the performance of that rifle but obviously the wsm strikes again in this case. I hope anyone looking to buy one of those reads this before making the same mistake I did. So for my next question, do any of you have any experience with the newer model 70s in a wsm or recommend a reliable wsm capable rifle (other than tikka)? I will buy a savage and replace the god awful stock if no other good options come along. I'd love to try a 700 but have heard a lot of negative about current barrel performance. I need to get a rock chucker figured out now so I have time for load development before the hunt and don't want to have any more issues. Thanks guys.

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to buy a wsm very soon, likely a 270wsm, and have been looking hard at the xbolt and Tikka. You may have saved me some headache. I'm leaning more towards the Tikka T3x and am curious why you're not interested in it?

I haven't been able to find a Savage Weather Warrior at any local stores.

I looked a m70 Extreme Weather a while back. They are nice rifles but I'd rather have a drop magazine.

Also, I've read that the Sako 85 and A7 both suffer from the same ejection problem that you're experiencing on the xbolt, just in case you are considering those.

Thanks kool, I had a tikka in 300. It functioned flawlessly to be honest. It shot pretty good and the action moved smoother than butter dripping off a biscuit. I didn't care for the stock and the barrel fouled pretty easily, that being said its still worth the money. I put a b&c on it and after a few months dealing with b&c customer service I got it together and liked it. my gun shop here gave me a store credit back for the browning today, now I have to figure out what the hell to buy. I'd say screw it and Build one after that mess but I don't have the time at this point. Hopefully someone will come up with some good feedback

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.