Turkey, dove shotgun and barrel length

wildcat westerner

Hello,
I have been introduced to both Turkey and dove hunting here in the west. Primarily a long range rifle shooter, I see special turkey shotguns with shorter barrels and adjustable chokes. I have been advised on hevi shot and been advised against certain well known shotguns of recent manufacture, when in the past they were considered fine pump shotguns.
With the fact that you can often see turkeys miles away here in the Rockies, I realize a turkey shotgun is really used as a short range rifle for these large birds. If powder is burned quickly in shotguns, why would long barrels be positive, if you consider rifle type sights on factory turkey weapons seldom are setup at the longest spacing on these weapons? I am thinking that with the phenomenal eyesights of turkeys a shorter barrel with choke tubes would draw less attention when getting ready for a shot, and also when screwing out the tight turkey choke and putting in a Improved cylinder, should be quite positive when using for these fleet, erratic flying doves. I would appreciate some veteran, non passionate advice on this topic.
Thanks,

Generally speaking a longer barrel is better for wingshooting birds on the fly. It helps with a longer sight plane, but improves the "smoothness" of your swing. Turkey do not require a long barrel.
I have killed many, many gobblers with 28" barrels with no issue. No need for a short one as it will hurt you when shooting flying doves IMO.
I actually like 30-32" tubes on my double guns due to the shorter action... the longer barrels help me stay on target and aren't as whippy. This is the reason serious shotgun competitors shoot 32"+ barrels.

Wow, thanks for the reply. It would appear I shall attempt to do some clay and skeet shooting at Whittington to get a feel for what I need for dove shooting.

Thanks

wildcat,
The benefit to short barrels while turkey hunting is one that you have to experience to know just why you need one. Often times I have found myself in a tight little blowdown or setup and a 28" barrel would hit on limbs and brush. The 20" barrel on my 870 Compact camo 20 gauge is perfect and the last three gobblers I shot were at 40 and 41 yards, using 3" federal heavyweight #7's.

28 to 30 inch barrel with screw in chokes should serve you well. I like a 30 in a 12 and my 20 s have 28 s. Don't overlook a 20 gauge. I shoot them just as well as a 12 and they are lighter and kick less. Work fine for turkeys.

You can buy a second barrel pretty reasonable so you can have a long and short. As a bonus the short barrel will turn your shotgun into a great home defense weapon. Another added benefit to a 20 gauge is if you are married most women can easily learn to shoot one for self defense. I have seen very few that want to shoot a 12.

I really haven"t seen a need for short barrels out West. Their turkeys aren't near as "tactical" as back East. lol
Less wary, less stealthy.

You can buy a second barrel pretty reasonable so you can have a long and short.

If just one gun, buy the dove gun (longer barrel that swings well for you) and toss a tight choke into it when hunting turkeys. The two-barrel setup works well also. Here's an example of a two-barrel set with the Browning BPS with a 28" barrel and second 20" barrel that has sights (though this set is no longer in production).
https://www.browning.com/products/f...ontinued/bps-stalker-high-capacity-combo.html

I own several shotguns and hunt turkeys, but none of mine are dedicated turkey guns (I do have a short barrel for my BPS).

semi automatic 28" is great all purpose; 30" for over/under is my preference I've killed turkeys with a 28" auto but now use a short barrel special purpose pump. By the way, 3 1/2"turkey loads in a pump will get your attention.

I agree with buying a 2nd barrel for turkey hunting. With a pump or semi-auto it's easy to change barrels, can't do that with an O/U unless you want to dig a lot deeper into your pocket.

For clay birds, short barrels swing faster long barrels swing smoother. BUT, I believe it all depends on what you get used to when shooting at clay birds. I have run 100 straight skeet shooting with my 30" barrel Citori (O/U) and have killed turkeys with my 30" barrel high rib trap barrel on my Model 12.

Turkeys are shot like a rifle, sights, squeezing the trigger, gun not moving and VERY tight shot pattern. Clay birds are shot with both eyes open, more of a trigger slap, gun constantly moving and no sights are needed. (get the gun fitted to you so it shoots where you are looking). Concentrate on focusing on the clay bird, not the sight, you can't focus on both at the same time anyway.

Long, long ago, when I was introduced to Spring gobbler hunting, a very wise man gave me some pointers to be a better hunter. First , whatever shotgun you use, pattern it ! Try different chokes, different loads. Second, don't fall for the more shot is better. Those 3 1/2 inch shells shoot the big payloads much slower than a lighter load and when you pattern them, they may be a lot less effective,too. Lastly, sometimes "jealousy" will bring in the tom. I used a hen call one time and she came in close, but the tom was right behind her. Another time, a tom would not come to the hen call. Changed to a gobble and he came a runnin!:p

Long, long ago, when I was introduced to Spring gobbler hunting, a very wise man gave me some pointers to be a better hunter. First , whatever shotgun you use, pattern it ! Try different chokes, different loads. Second, don't fall for the more shot is better. Those 3 1/2 inch shells shoot the big payloads much slower than a lighter load and when you pattern them, they may be a lot less effective,too. Lastly, sometimes "jealousy" will bring in the tom. I used a hen call one time and she came in close, but the tom was right behind her. Another time, a tom would not come to the hen call. Changed to a gobble and he came a runnin!:p

I agree. I use a buffered handload of 1 3/8 oz shot moving at 1,380 fps.

I use a Beretta 686 Onyx 3.5 12 gauge for both as my go to shotgun. It has a 28 inch barrel and being an over/under, it handles well turkey hunting too.

Of course, I have others more specialized like a Rem SP10 22" 10 gauge with rifle sights that hammers turkeys out to 75 yards with a Hastings .685 choke and Federal #4's. For Doves, a 20 gauge 32 inch over/under is about as close to heaven as you can get.

Start with a good general purpose 12 gauge (like a Browning Cynergy Camo) that can take fowl weather and if you like the sports, expand you're collection accordingly.

I personally use a 24in. bbl. on my Benelli turkey guns. I didn't have that length set in stone when I went shopping,it came down to what was available.I knew that a 28in. was too long for my taste though,as it would get even longer when I put an extended tube in it.That would be way too long for the types of terrain that I hunt in.I have shot ducks,geese,doves,turkeys,and rabbits with these guns and never felt that I needed a longer or shorter barrel at any time.

My advise is to go to your dealer and handle as many guns as possible in as many configurations as possible,and go with the one that feels the most like an extention of your arms! good luck with your search.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts