My new Turkey shotgun?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Bobhunts, Mar 26, 2015.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. justinp61

justinp61 Well-Known Member

My experience has been that I had to let the gun tell me what it likes. I hunt with a 20
    gauge 1187, with a Primos Jelley Head and #7 Federal Heavyweight it's a proven killer past 50 yards.

2. bowkill02

bowkill02 Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Before I landed on my choke and shot combo I spent a lot of time and money testing load and chokes. I tested every major advertised choke, and loads from #4-#6, in 3"-3.5" combos. It does take time and a little expense but it is a once and done affair. What works for one guy or one gun may or probably won't work for your setup. Good news is many chokes come with a return policy so that will help lighten the load in the end.

3. usastripes

usastripes Well-Known Member

I hunter mostly turkey with my Browning Citori

4. wildwings

wildwings Well-Known Member

The Hevi13 turkey chokes from Hevishot are
    premium turkey chokes

5. wsq

wsq Well-Known Member

I’ve tried and shot most everything nothing I’ve found comes close to nitro ammunition and they have tested and can recommend a choke for most of the popular turkey guns

6. wildwings

wildwings Well-Known Member

In my view, Nitro's cannot even come close to the Hevishot
    family of turkey shells. The Nitros do not hit nearly as hard nor
    hold their patterns down range like the Magnum Blends do

7. Pulpwood

Pulpwood Well-Known Member

It has been my experience (45) yrs that you need to play with different choke tubes and shot sizes and brands to find out what you gun and set up likes Turkey hunting has been my favorite hunting sport for a very long time Springtime is a very enjoyable time to be in the woods Happy hunting

8. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

I've got an m3000 stoeger, mine patterns well at least to 60+ yards with the supplied xf Turkey choke and the 12ga, 3" -1 3/4" oz #5 longbeard xr loads.

Each shotty is gonna be just a bit different--- I tried 3" Kent #4,5&6 and none patterned near what the longbeard did..Kent is for the birds, and I don't mean hunting for birds

Kent is just lead shot, often times lead shot will distort and disperse when used with a tight choke-- kent seemed to work better with a more open choke in my shotty

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  9. wsq

wsq Well-Known Member

Hevi shot from the nitro ammo co. Shells run about $10 apiece but worth every penny

10. jasent

jasent Well-Known Member

I also use the Winchester long beard 3” 1 3/4 oz #5 copper coated. With a beneli extra full..... jelly head at 50 yards

11. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Remington 870 with Indian Creek choke pushing #6 Longbeards works great for me.