Turkey, dove shotgun and barrel length

In wingshooting long barrels are your friend. So is weight most of the time. Turkey hunting it is not. Many long barrels pattern better than shorter ones, especially at distance. I carry a 12 ga single shot with a short barrel turkey hunting, and shoot a Browning Gold light 10 at waterfowl.

I tend to lean towards longer barrel shotguns. They just handle better overall. I hunt the north east where woods get tight and I'm a very serious Turkey hunter. My shotgun is a Winchester sx3 field with the 28in barrel. I wanted the 28in for trap, rabbits, partridges etc for a better swing. Most all my turkeys have been killed with a 26in or 28in barrel shotgun. I can kinda see why someone might want a short barreled Turkey gun but that's not my cup of tea. I just want one shotgun that covers all the bases and a semiautomatic with a 26 or 28 in barrel seems to so that well.

Semi auto Beretta 391 has a 30" for shooting birds with My O/U has 32" barrels for shooting clays with. The longer barrels give a smoother swing for shooting sporting clays the shorter barres have a faster whippy swing for me.

As a longtime wingshooter who is now venturing into long range shooting I agree with many of the above posts. For non-flushing birds I prefer 30" - 32" barrels, with the exception of 26" barrel on my dedicated waterfowl gun. Longer barrels increase your sight plane allow for a better/easier sight picture (assuming proper gun fit), along with smoothing out your swing on lighter sub-gauge guns commonly used for doves. The 26" waterfowl gun I have found to be more manageable in layout and upright blinds is also the gun I use for turkeys. Even with the additional length of an extended turkey or waterfowl choke this gun is easily maneuvered in the Texas brush. With a good turkey choke (Carlsons, Kicks, Patternmaster, Briley, etc.) any barrel length should prove to pattern well and take turkeys at surprising distances.

Hello,
I have been introduced to both Turkey and dove hunting here in the west. Primarily a long range rifle shooter, I see special turkey shotguns with shorter barrels and adjustable chokes. I have been advised on hevi shot and been advised against certain well known shotguns of recent manufacture, when in the past they were considered fine pump shotguns.
With the fact that you can often see turkeys miles away here in the Rockies, I realize a turkey shotgun is really used as a short range rifle for these large birds. If powder is burned quickly in shotguns, why would long barrels be positive, if you consider rifle type sights on factory turkey weapons seldom are setup at the longest spacing on these weapons? I am thinking that with the phenomenal eyesights of turkeys a shorter barrel with choke tubes would draw less attention when getting ready for a shot, and also when screwing out the tight turkey choke and putting in a Improved cylinder, should be quite positive when using for these fleet, erratic flying doves. I would appreciate some veteran, non passionate advice on this topic.
Thanks,
This may be what you've been advised against....by those "short shuckers" amongst us who have never learned to use their firearm correctly....but, Mossbergs Remington pumps have served military well in far more critical applications than turkey or upland bird hunting. I have been very successful using 20" Mossberg 835 Turkey Tactical for turkeys.....yes, they often overrun my position thus the tactical...:) :) :).....has pistol grip and collapsible stock....great for holding motionless extended periods in odd positions often found in dynamic turkey setups. The 835 allows lighter 2-3/4" , 3" or teeth rattling 3-1/2" shells. I use an EoTech 512MO (1MOA dot; 65MOA circle reticle) Holographic Weapon Sight....in matching camo naturally.....our prey have high expectations of their predators....yeah, camo is for the hunter's eye and the merchant/manufacturer's bottom lines....it's motion that will get you busted every time. Not looking through a red dot tube tunnel; offers great peripheral vision for bird/birds coming in from unexpected direction. Interchangeable chokes allows swapping for aftermarket choke which your patterning finds best to your application. Great turkey setup. Never have needed more than one shot/bird. You could then buy a longer interchangeable barrel for other upland birds. Shorter turkey barrel carries and slings (I use a Boonie Packer style sling) easily for working 1 or 2 hands free in heavier cover, rough terrain. Never have liked the autos for bird hunting of any specie. Just my imprinting with a Ithaca 37 pump at 9yr old. But unless finances are a real issue, turkey and upland birds present a great reason to buy more guns. Over/under and side-by-sides are fantastic upland bird guns. If one knows how many guns one has....one obviously doesn't have enough guns....or too much wife!!! :) :) :) Sorry, no adult supervision in my life. Ah, life is good. Hope you learn to really enjoy turkey and upland bird hunting.

Last edited:
I like short(18-22")barrels for Turkey hunting.They handle better in a blind than a longer barrel.Carlson' s in Attwood,Kansas does great work,fast,for a reasonable price. I recommend them highly. A short barrel won't make the gun invisible,of course,so I try to have it pointed in the right direction before the bird shows up.

Long, long ago, when I was introduced to Spring gobbler hunting, a very wise man gave me some pointers to be a better hunter. First , whatever shotgun you use, pattern it ! Try different chokes, different loads. Second, don't fall for the more shot is better. Those 3 1/2 inch shells shoot the big payloads much slower than a lighter load and when you pattern them, they may be a lot less effective,too. Lastly, sometimes "jealousy" will bring in the tom. I used a hen call one time and she came in close, but the tom was right behind her. Another time, a tom would not come to the hen call. Changed to a gobble and he came a runnin!:p
Long, long ago, when I was introduced to Spring gobbler hunting, a very wise man gave me some pointers to be a better hunter. First , whatever shotgun you use, pattern it ! Try different chokes, different loads. Second, don't fall for the more shot is better. Those 3 1/2 inch shells shoot the big payloads much slower than a lighter load and when you pattern them, they may be a lot less effective,too. Lastly, sometimes "jealousy" will bring in the tom. I used a hen call one time and she came in close, but the tom was right behind her. Another time, a tom would not come to the hen call. Changed to a gobble and he came a runnin!:p
Amen to the gobble call, but make sure you are the only hunter on the bird...good way to get shot.

I always used a 28" 12 gage for turkey and it doubled as my bird gun. Recently picked up a 20 gage compact to use for turkeys. Today's loads seem to make it work just fine and I like the smaller frame for long hikes and tight blinds. Like others have said, if I had to pick one, it would be the 28". Worked great for me for many years.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.