True accuracy for long range

frenchshooter

Dear Sirs,

I am planning to buy a new long range rifle, but as it is very expensive I look at every "precision made" rifle in the world before I take any decision.Does anyone could tell me something about the accuracy (shot groups)I could expect with a

- Sako TRG42 .338 Lapua

- Blaser Lrs2 .338 Lapua www.blaser.de/english/produkte/r93/lrs2.htm

- AMP DSR1 .338 Lapua www.snipersystems.co.uk/DSR/DSR4.htm

- HS precision htr2000 .338 Lapua

- a custom rifle with Weatherby MarkV accumark barrel and action in 300Wby,30-378,338-378 or Deluxe 378wbymag. Nearly nobody use Wby rifle in Europe for long range shooting so could you please tell me what would be the best Weatherby caliber for 1000 yards shooting. isn't it too expensive to shoot with that?

Then, could you please tell me what is for you the best factory .338 Lapua rifle with detachable mag.

Thank you

My personal opinion is that the Prairie Gun Works Timberwolf is the best 338 Lapua Magnum. It carries a heafty price, but it is a tack driver and is an extremely rugged system for field use.
http://www.pgwdti.com/id16.htm
1f2f44c0.jpg

My second choice would be an Accuracy International super magnum in 338 LM.
http://www.accuracyinternational.com/
aw338.jpg

The TRG 42 is an excellent system to, as is the AR 30 by Armalite.

[ 04-30-2004: Message edited by: sr90 ]

I can't speak for any on the guns you mentioned. Except, don't waste your money on a weatherby.

I have a 338 Lapua that was custom made. It cost me about $3100 including bases and rings. Not including scope. PGW action, Mcmillian stock, Jewell trigger, 28" #& Lilja fluted. I think its well worth the money.

If you wan't a good long range rig for the money. Go with a Remington Sendero in 300 RUM. Definitely better than the weatherbys.

Thank you for your informations on the PGW.
I visited the web site thanks to your attached adress and I am very pleased that they use McMillan A series stocks. This rifle could be a good choice

the AMP DSR1 is said by the manufacturer to shoot 0.3 MOA at 100 yds, and the price is nearly the same as the Accuracy Internationnal and the PGW.

One other gun which seems to be accurate is the south african Truvelo SR338,It is said by the manufacturer to shoot 0.5 MOA at 500 yds, but it is not distributed in France and I cannot even get a price for it. Does anyone knows about it?

The Armalite cannot be exported to France if the end user is not army or police it means bought by French state(a salesman from Armalite told me that.) I am a military, but I am looking for a rifle for my personnal use. I found the AR30 very good but was disappointed by this answer, I can't buy it. One top of that i read on this forum an AR30 owner saying that he had to wait a very long time to get is rifle after he gave his order.
It is a bit curious because in France every hunter can buy a Sako TRG 42 in .338 and have it within 10 days.

I found the Sako good too but prices for accessories are too expensive, 600 Euros or USD(it is the same) for a bipod, is it made of gold!. 350 Euros for a scope mount, sorry I don't want to pay for wind.

FrenchShooter

You might want to take a look at the Sako and order you accessories from the US at Brownells for instance. A set of Burris double dovetail bases and signature rings with inserts for a sako are less than $100 US and that can give you up to 40 MOA alone.

Second, Dave Tooley at Tooleyrifles.com has a european distributor (I know in the UK) for his guns and he can build anything you want that will outshoot all that you have mentioned so far. He is one of the absolute premier 1000 yard gunsmiths in the world.

BH

[ 04-30-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

Hi frenchshooter
Dave Tooley"s U.K agent is wildcat custom rifles.Address is Minsterley Ranges."The Bog" Shropshire.SY5 ONJ. phone01743 791858 and speak to David Ryan/Duncan their is a web site also.Using the same address.
If you are interested in a Accuracy Int system I have a colleague who has a 338LM and a very good contact their.
rolleyes.gif

Have to disagree with JohnM about the weatherby
shocked.gif
yes its expensive to shoot but the 30-378 has been used for the 1000yd game quite awhile.

I'm having one built up now off a MK V action found a smith that specializs in that action, he was recommended by a board member.
grin.gif

Texas

Got to agree with JohnM. The weatherby action makes an good hunting action, but never has been known for an accurate LR competitive action compared to the competition.

As for the 30-378 being used as a competitive 1000 yard round. The current stats do not support that anymore, one time yes but not now. The only place it is even being used is in PA. Their last posted match results show that only one Light gun shooter used it with middle of the pack results and 6 Heavy gun shooters used it with 2 not getting all 10 shots one and the others ranging from 14.9 to 24 inches while their relays being won at the 6-8" level.
That is over 200 shooters total of LG and HG and two of the six were Harold Wolfe and his son who are big advocates of the 30-378.

In my opinion, mediocore accuracy action, large overbore cartridge that is not competitive with todays class of 1k guns and cartidges.

However, if you got the money and expertise, the gunsmith has got the tricks to make even Mauser actions shoot at 1000, just not the choice to start with.

BH

I think the accuracy international is a great rifle, but for a bargin, the armalite is tough to beat.

If you want a longrange gun that will not empty your pocket I would look at a Rem Sendero in a 338 Ultra Mag or if you wanted to build a 338 Lapua I can give you the name of a benchrest gun smith that will blue print your action and chamber your barrel for 125 bucks and I would say he is one of the best in the country and he doesnt charge very much as you can see. He has built alot of rifles for people I know and he built my 6mm-284 wich easily shoots in the .2's at 100 yards. If you bought a lilja barrel, Rem 700 action, and a stock you should be able to do it for $1200 or less and it will do anything that tac rig will do for about a third of the price.

[ 05-11-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]

Frenchshooter:
In recent years the prize for accuracy at 1000yds has often (if not consistently) been won by the 30-378. I now have for sale a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 30-378. There is a sale posting about a week old for this rifle. Very few rounds have been fired through it and theres is a lot of info about the rifle and its preformance on this site. This is truly one of the finest long range rifles in the world. This is high quality and high accuracy. I will negotiate price from the listed $1300 value in these tight economic times. Comes with two boxes of Weatheby 30-378, 180 grain, X-bullit ammunition. This is a beautiful high performance rifle. Contact if interested.
gdula

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.