Trouble ranging Big Game, need help

I own a Sig 2400 and the G7. Either works very well for the majority of ranging situations. In difficult ranging scenarios with either fore, aft, (or both) interferences on the target animal, each rangefinder will require a different approach to ensuring an accurate range. IMO, the G7 is far easier to acquire an accurate range in these situations if the "Tru-Targeting" ranging buttons are understood and practiced. The combination of the G7's larger beam does not require the high level of steadiness, and the near/far buttons can used to quickly decipher the target. With practice, and visually understanding the interferences, I have found that I can filter the interferences very quickly. The Sig 2400 can also sift through the interferences, but requires a different approach. The small beam and much lighter weight requires a VERY steady rest. This unit has a more limited filtering system enabling you to choose 'Best" or "Last". While these functions attempt to accomplish the same function as the Tru-Targeting feature of the G7, they are not easy to change, requiring you to enter the "mode" program. This takes a lot more time, many times making it impractical to use when you are on an animal. The scanning mode of the Sig 2400 can be used with success, visually indicating the range differences of the interferences, but, may land on the "wrong" range when the scan button is released, even though you figured out the right range during the scan. The approach that has worked best for me when there are interferences is to make sure I have a very steady rest, and indepently confirm the target and interferences in the non-scanning mode. This can take more time, but helps insure that you have a god range on the animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.