Big Game Round Help Needed

GIJOE

Hello, I have a nice Winchester M1917 action that I want to build a Big Game rifle with. I would like to have a round that can handle the big bears and also be big enough to take to Africa on a Lion hunt. I was thinking .416 Rigby but I thought I would check with you fellows first to get some experienced takes on the subject. The problem with the .416 Rigby is the long range handicap, I would like something that has the power and long range capability. I thought of the .408 Cheytac and the .50 BMG but thats just not safe in the ole M1917 action if its even possible.
I would appreciate any help at all.
Thanks

Joe,
Dangerous game and long range are not words that most guides like to use in the same sentence... We discussed the potential of shooting dangerous game at longer range here a while back and there is a bunch of info and considerations. Try a search and hopefully you will find a good thread on this exact topic.

I have used the .416 Rigby quite a bit and it is a powerful cartridge capable of turning the lights out very quickly. But, most guides and outfitters will not agree with shooting past 150-200 yards on dangerous game because they prefer the more confident shot placement of 75-100 yard shots.

I know a great outfitter who is intrigued with the idea of killing Alaskan brown bears across salt-grass flats with a good shooting .50 BMG, but so far he has not tried that. Maybe others are doing this, have never heard of it tho.

I'm not a gun smith so I can't tell you what the max case size that you bolt will handle. I have loaned my 458 win mag to friends going to Africa and the 500-510 grain bullets made for lots of one shot kills on the "Big 5" The 416 rigby, rem, and weatherby are also excellant rounds.

Get the video of "Black Death" African hunting with this twin handled 18 inch barreled 50 BMG. These guys would walk out to cape buffalo and have them charge. The idea is to shoot them in the forhead at 20-30 feet when they are coming at you full speed. Same thing with lions. It's thrill hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

375 H&H, 375 RUM, 378 Weatherby. All will suit your needs and shoot pretty flat and there is starting to be a better bullet selection in this cal for long range. Any of them will kill anything that walks the earth.

I appreciate all of your input. I'm not the kind of person that gets his kicks by tempting death, the Black Death video sounds like it would be fun to watch while sitting safely on my couch. The 20 to 30 ft. head shot on a charging lion is nuts, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God". I like to put dangerous game and longe range hunting in the same sentence.
I have seriously considered the .375 class and have not ruled it out. I thought I would check with you pros to see if there was something else that might go well with the ole Winchester M1917 action before I commited. Thanks-Joe

GiJoe,
I think the reason most people DON'T put dangerous game and long range in the same sentence is that guides and people want shots that are 100%. No wounded animal to go into the bush after, wondering if it's going to attatck you at 10ft. 200-300 yds or less, seems to be the norm (from what I've read only so take it for what it's worth).

I understand about not wanting to wound( **** off) a dangerous animal and then have to track and kill him. I don't think that will be a problem with a .50 BMG but I don't have one yet ??? I do have this M1917 and I'm down to chooseing between the .338 RUM and the .375 RUM. The .375 will probally be the one I choose because it has pretty much the same energies as the .416 and its better than the .458 win. according to the companies web sites ballistics . I think that a 300 gr. bullet is plenty when its velocities and trajectories are as good as the .375 RUM, for big game that is. The .375 RUM should work fine out to 300 yds and thats about as close as I won't to get to a Lion. What do you think about ?

I have decided after eye burning computer studies that I will forget all of the afore mentioned rounds and go with the .300 RUM in my ole Winchester M1917 action. The small amount of energy advantage the larger rounds have over the .300 RUM at the muzzle are soon obselete and the .300 rum is holding its own or surpassing the larger rounds at 200 and 300 yds . I don't believe I even need to comment on the trajectory .Its looking like I will be using the .300 RUM for just about all of my hunting needs except for quail , there hard enough with a 20 gauge.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.