Tripod length?

jej

I am currently in the process of getting a new tripod system and am having an internal struggle regarding what size to get. It will mainly be used for spotting scope and occasionally binos. I'm from PA but generally hunt out west at least once a year. I am not trying to maximize weight with my decision either. Part of me says to go with a short/medium length to be used for sitting behind as they would have a smaller profile to pack and be more steady. Another part of me says to go with long tripod that would be usable for both sitting and standing applications, but of course it would be longer when folded and a touch heavier. I am not planning on getting two, so that option is out of the question. I have typically found myself sitting while glassing, but have had situations where you might need to stand to get over brush, etc. Probably over thinking this but wanted to get others thoughts. I plan on spending good money and purchasing a nice tripod. Thanks.

Get into your shooting position; shoulder the weapon like you were going to fire. Sitting....standing...dont matter. Measure from the ground to the bottom of the barrel. Add 2 more inches. Buy....Use!

It depends on how tall you are. A lot of "stand up"tripods are made for some body that's maybe 5'-6". I'm 5-10" and use a set of Slik 634 legs. A buddy who is 6'-2" had a heck of a time and ended up with a Manfroto 3 piece, that is huge. Another issues will be the style of spotter. If your spotter is straight it wont matter. If it is angled, finding something can be difficult if it isn't lined up vertically, some will rotate to the side.

Heya.... you might consider one that has double extension legs. I've got a manfrotto.. and though I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to be hiking up mts... etc due to it's weight, there are some that are aluminum which would work splendidly.

The model I have is perfect when sitting... or can extend way up when standing... both work beautifully. I'm 6'3 and this goes way over my head....

Good luck!!

DSCN0025.jpg

Sully, you must have misread my post as i'm talking mainly for use with a spotting scope, not for rifle tripod.

Thanks for the other thoughts. I am just over 6' and use a straight spotting scope.

Sully, you must have misread my post as i'm talking mainly for use with a spotting scope, not for rifle tripod.

Thanks for the other thoughts. I am just over 6' and use a straight spotting scope.

They have a center elevator. Im 5'10" and if I crank mine all the way up the mounting plate is over the top of my head

They have a center elevator. Im 5'10" and if I crank mine all the way up the mounting plate is over the top of my head

Take a look at Outdoorsmans tripod. Not cheap but well built and versatile. I have the medium pod with tall center post. I am 6' tall and it is just right for me. Use it out west and at home in PA. I got the rifle rest for it when I can't use my bipod to shoot.

Take a look at Outdoorsmans tripod. Not cheap but well built and versatile. I have the medium pod with tall center post. I am 6' tall and it is just right for me. Use it out west and at home in PA. I got the rifle rest for it when I can't use my bipod to shoot.

The Outdoorsman is exactly what I am looking at. Just trying to decide whether to go with the medium or large. We are about the same height, do you use a straight scope and can look thru it standing?

I use a straight. Have to squat a little when fully extended. Really only time I have it extended is at the range spotting for my buddy. Hunting I am always sitting and glassing.

how do you like the rifle rest with it? I always use shooting sticks for hunting but this could possibly be both my spotter tripod and shooting rest.

It's OK. But just sent tripod back to have the long range rear support installed. Used it with sticks under butt which made it very solid.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.