Trioxane

trueblue

What do you use to start a fire in an emergency.?
Was looking at trioxane bars, or is there something better?
Would like to boil water and cook some soup or something warm if needed

Well, there are a lot of ways to start a fire and everyone has their favorite way. Lots of commercial and homemade firestarters out there. I always carry 2 lighters, a magnesium steel and dryer lint. The dryer lint is great----very light to carry and starts very easy. You could most likely get away with a lighter and a baggie full of lint.

Randy

I like the trioxane a lot. I bought a bunch of them last year at the army navy, and many of the packs were empty or close to empty. I think the packs were not air tight and the chemical evaporated. So look close when you get some.

Steve

+1 on the dryer lint. I carry some in my emergency kit with a sparked. I also really like cotton ball with Vaseline on them.

We used to have 10 ton stacks of the Trioxane sitting all over the motor pool while I was in the army....we just pulled out whatever we needed and packed them on our vehicles every time we pulled out the gate (Self Propelled Artillery) I'd grab 500 boxes for a months supply....90 for me and the rest for my idiot troops that forgot theirs as they walked by the mountain sized piles LOL!

Before Trioxane we would pull the supplemental charges out of the artillery shells and cut the half pound tin cans open...inside was 5 perfectly round discs of TNT about a half inch thick.....Worked great with the old canned c rats! and no it didn't explode if you stomped it to put it out...I told my troops it would just for the fun of it and you know a couple of dipsticks had to try it :)

i like to carry at least three trioxane tabs when i go hiking. here in ak a short hike can get hairy quick, so i'm always ready. that said, in the winter i add at least 2 full size road flares to that kit. a lit road flare will get a fire started right now, and at -20 you may not be able to work a striker on a stick.

I always carry a bunch of lighters and matches with vaseline cotton balls....im gonna have to try to bring some road flares next time...make it a little bit easier to start a fire if its really cold

Last edited:
Re: Trioxane & ESBIT

I much prefer ESBIT tablets to Trioxane. ESBIT is the solid fuel of choice among many backpackers. Many prefer it to alcohol for longer trips (less fuel weight and hotter than alky).

1. ESBIT is hotter than Trioxane
2. MANY more stoves are made for ESBIT tabs
3. ESBIT fumes are far less toxic than Trioxane fumes.
4. ESBIT can be blown out and re-lit for the next meal.

Using "Brian Green's Blog" instructions an ESBIT tab holder can be made from aluminum roofing flashing or a disposable pie pan. This tablet holder captures the fluid residue and lets it burn, thus doubling the burn time to 15 minutes. This also keeps liquid residue from contaminating the ground beneath.
Or, for a better job, buy some titanium sheet metal online from "Titanium Goat".

For THE most efficient ESBIT (or alcohol) stove I recommend getting the "Sidewinder" stove, made by Trail Designs. It comes with an ESBIT tablet holder called a "Gram Cracker" but you should make the improved Brian Green tab holder for longer burn times. For less money you can get an aluminum "Caldera Cone" from T.D. that can only burn ESBIT or alcohol. The TRI-TI and Sidewinder stoves, being titanium sheet, can also burn wood. (see below)

Many many ESBIT stoves have been tested and this one (or the similar, larger Trail Designs Tri-Ti) has proven to be the most efficient by a wide margin. That means less fuel to carry, like half as much as with other ESBIT or Trioxane stoves. ESBIT is relatively easy to find in 90% of outdoor stores or online.

HINT: ESBIT has a fishy odor even in its own packaging so pack it in a roll-top coffee bag that has an aluminized layer. Most coffee bags are made like this. If you are in bear country pack this coffee bag of ESBIT in your bear can with your food. Jus' saying'...

If you decide to cough up the money for a Tri-Ti or Sidewinder stove (they are made of titanium sheet to withstand the higher heat of burning wood) you can buy the optional "Inferno" wood burning insert. This makes the stove into the highly efficient "gassifier" type wood burner that recirculates and burns the gasses given off by the initial combustion and it is HOT! I love mine for winter camping where I use 1/4 tablet of ESBIT for a fire starter and available wood for fuel.

P.S.Yeah, the Canadian made Bush Buddy wood burner is also a gassier stove and does the same thing but it is not as efficient as the Inferno setup in a TRI-TI or Sidewinder stove B/C it lets too much heat escape. Plus its heavier and not as compact when stored.

Check out the Trail Designs website.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.