Trinidad College of Gunsmithing

japple

Does anyone have experience with this school or know people who have gone there? I am wondering if it is worth the moeny they want or if it is over priced? I don't really feel like picking up and moving my family a 1000 miles for something that isn't going to be worth it!

Thanks
John

Had a friend that went and stayed for like 2 months and hated it and moved back home. He said the town was part of the reason he didnt like it. He said that most of the people there where nothing but rude. There are many people that have went there and loved it Though.

I did 1 semester there in 1990. The students are ok but the locals are a tight nit bunch that wont except outsiders. I had a friend there whose neighbor lived there for about 40 years and was still treated like an outsider, his kids were treated great but they were born there thus local. Trinidad lake has some great Walleye fishing and there is some real good hunting also. I would love to go back but can not afford it. and if you do go stay out of the hospital if you can!:D:D

LMAO well its different. The town is kinda antisocial unless you get out and make yourself at home. I will admit that being it used to be the sex change capitol of the world it gets to be a different expierence after about 11pm at walmart. There used to be alot of pdogs around there and if you go up towards stonewall etc theres lots of sight seeing and quite a few elk. Lots of bobcats around that area if you enjoy calling. As far as teachers, I went there when speedy was in the first two years but now hes moved to the third year. Would I go now????? hate to say it but with speedy being in only the third year now, probablly not.

It's the oldest degree granting college of gunsmithing in the country. It's no ICS correspondence course that's for sure. It's a real college. I go by the place a lot when travelling. My guess is their program is the best. Theres another good one north of I70 in Denver. Colo School of Trades I think it is, but I dont think its a degree program.

I don't think your dilema is with which school, it lies with the opportunities available to you after you graduate. There are some serious positions available for qualified gunsmiths, it may (will) require another 'move', possibly, to somewhere you and your family may not want to be. There are jobs with the major manufacturers in their custom shops and warranty repair shops, even with the U.S. government, sometimes. Those jobs may not be in the part of the country your family wants to live in, too expensive or too far from Grandmas' house. It takes money to start a business, and customers to keep it going, customers who are willing 'to pay'. The gunsmithing business is 'specialized tool intensive'. It takes time to establish a reputation for doing excellent work and establishing that clientel that is your base, and aquiring new 'good' customers (there are many who will waste your time) and finding that specialized niche that sets you apart from the others. You could spend many dollars in tuition, materials and basic hand tools and not be able to even 'make ends meet' with your newly aquired knowledge. The schools will teach you the basics and then some. With what I've learned at the bench over the last 18yrs., school pales in comparison. Two years just isn't long enough to cover everything or circumstance you will encounter. Hopefully, you'll come out wth a mind set to think your way thru your problems. Many graduate and go into completely different fields, just to make a living, and, if they really love gunsmithing, they come back to it after retirement. Not trying to discourage you, just what I've seen as a gunsmithing graduate, myself, and what I have observed of other graduates of several different schools.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.