moving to trinidad colorado

screech

Ok, I am moving to trinidad to go to gunsmithing next fall. I dont know what to expect though. I talked to an instructer and he said that they have gun lockers or something to store you're guns but dont want you to bring a bunch. I have a 223, 243, 6.5-284, 338-378imp, and a 300rum. I dont know which to bring though. I was thinking the 243 because It can kill almost everything around hear in Idaho. what would you guys bring if you could take two and why. Also, do they have pdogs there or close. thanks

I'd bring the .243 and the 300RUM. There is some pretty good Elk hunting in certain areas around there. I'd bring the .243 for coyotes. Not sure on the P'dogs, I've never seen them around Trinidad, maybe out east on the flats (certainly nothing like up in Montana etc.)

Don

Hey Screech, your going to be right down the street, so to speak from my sister, there in LaVata. That area is very nice and there is some great hunting around the parts.

The .243 and the RUM should work fine for you in that area. I think you will enjoy that scenery for sure just south of the Spanish Peaks. We hunted there around Cuchara in the San Isabel National Forest for Elk and Mule deer. Got the deer but never saw the elk. They were there just the weather warmed and they moved out of the area. The season opened a day or so late for the cold, and by then they were long gone.

screech, P-dogs can be found east of Trinidad about as far as you wish to drive. I found a ranch NE of town about 50 miles and the owner was very willing to let us shoot. For goodness sakes bring a 22 rimfire with a bdc dial it is almost more fun. I would sugest the .223 the .243 will get hot fast. Gun storage on campus is in the schools safe, with everybody elses stuff, accessed by the tool room people and instructors. They do not allow firearms or ammo in the dorms. If your going to hunt big game, I would think about having someone ship your rifle to you at the school a few weeks ahead of time then send it back when your done. No sence letting it get moved around for a year in someone elses safe. The Whitington center is about 30 miles south of the school and for $10 bucks and NRA membership you can shoot on any of the open ranges that day. Pistol ranges are alot of fun there. If you fish bring some gear the lake west of town has quite good fishing. I caght quite a few small mouth bass off shore. Make shure you have a licence they check! You also have to pay I think 5 bucks everytime you park at the lake(its a state park I belive). I think bikes are free but not certain.

I have attended the summer NRA classes. Forget what you think you know and listen and learn from all the instructors, each will teach you a different way to do the same things. Pick what you like and do it well. Every one there is very nice.

Almost forgot the most important thing, The colledge also has a nursing and massage therapy program. Which may interest a young single man. Older married fellas would rather jsut look at guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And if you really want to take a walk on the wild side, Trinidad is the "sex change capital of the world!" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad,_Colorado).

A .243 and .300 RUM would be a nice set. Also, you have to live here for 6 months before you are considered a "resident". Find a hunter safety course in the area, and get that out of the way, and you should be good for next year. You may just want to get some over the counter/left over tags the first year, which are pretty cheap.

I'd pick up some old actions or pawn shop cheapies so you have something to work on. Gives you a little incentive to build something new. If your going to be working on guns might as well work on yours.
good luck I know Dave Nolan and he is an excellent instructor.

so far the ultra and 243 sound like they should come. I kinda figured that. I would look into bringing my 338-378imp or 6.5x284 other than the part that I wont be able to reload while down there. Staying in the dorms. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Cheaper for now since I have never been there. Do I really need my 300rum? I can kill an elk up to a few hundred yrds with a 243. I would say 300 would be my max. I know it puts me under what alot of people would call ethical but I can normally shoot ground squirles up to 2-300 with it and they are smaller than an elks neck or behind the shoulder shot. It is amazing what a 243 can do. I was just wondering if my need for an elk gun for 500 would be needed much. Is there alot down there. I figured I would just get another barrel for a 243 this summer before I move incase i melt mine down in a pdog town I would have a backup. Normally seems you can get a good teacher to help you in a case like that if you are willing to split a few cords of wood or do some yard work. I reaaly just wanting to know if you guys think I can get away with just the 243. Now that I think of it, if I melt mine down, dad has a few that I could have him send me to melt down also. He never shoots them. Give him an reason to have me build a few new things when Im done getting my associates degree too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really dont care how much of the sex change capital of the world it is when I come back there is still going to be something swinging between my legs.

For those that would know, after you go through gunsmithing, how do you keep afloat untill you are well known enough for people will start trusting you. Im sure its not an over night thing of "theres a new smith in town lets have him build a few thousand dollar rifle." could be wrong but I wasn't sure.

Is there anything else I need to bring other than a rifle or two and an fishing pole? In other words is there anything that I would regret not having when going down there for outdoorsie stuff.

Thanks

Starting a shop is expensive and your right it takes time to get known. I would recommend starting as a general gunsmith and then as you get known specialize in one thing. Also I have seen many smiths who were very good go out of business because they understood firearms but not business practices. Take business classes they are very important.
Consider working for another smith or if you know of a gun shop that doesn't offer smithing see if you can work with them many times it is beneficial to both of you.
Remember no matter how bad the gun is, to the guy bringing it in its important, don't tell him its a piece of crap and not worth fixing, tell him how much it will cost and let him decide if it should be fixed, get the cost of parts up front though. Don't promise a gun in a certain time frame unless you can do it by then, that is a common complaint by many customers. I made a very good living for many years and enjoyed it better then any job I had.
Good luck

[ QUOTE ]
... Do I really need my 300rum? I can kill an elk up to a few hundred yrds with a 243. I would say 300 would be my max. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've hunted that country, spent a good portion of my childhood just west of Trinidad in Segundo and LaVeta. I've also hunted with a 243 and seen elk taken with them. If I were you and planning on hunting elk in that area, I'd bring the 300. For the most part, its open country, shooting up/down hills. The hunting pressure is pretty high in most public areas and the elk tend to be jumpy (moving shots).

If you have a camera, bring it. There are some monster Pronghorns east of Trinidad (on private ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ), there are also quite a few bears in the area (might think about those as well). The last time we hunted that area for elk, we saw 5 bears.

Good Luck,
Don

Had a fellow from TX in elk camp last year hunting with a 243. He got his bull, hadda shoot it five times, but he got it. Take your 300 RUM.

I'd also take a fishing pole have some good fishing around there. They are still drilling(natural gas) west of Trinidad to a town called Stonewall up to the Spanish Peaks north. I drew a deer tag for the second season (unit 85)last year seen alot of elk up high deer hunting was pretty spotty but I'd take the 300RUM. If you can get hooked up with a rancher east of town for deer hunting also around Trinidad which is unit 851 and 140 they have some pretty good mtn lion hunting. There is some state own hunting areas west of town you need a special draw for one(Bosque Del Oso)but others are open bordered by private land. I use a 6REMAI for my antelope hunting.
You can apply as a Full-Time student rule under accredited trade school but you still need to be here six months and I'm not sure if you have to change your drivers Lic best to check with DOW on that. Well good lucky I hear Speedy (SG&Y)is teaching down there now.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.