Triggers: which one to get started?

Mram10us

When I had my first rifle built, a 338 edge, I put a jewel br trigger on it. Went over to a very cold part of the state where it was snowing after big muleys. Had a nice four-point in my sights and I couldn't get the firing pin to engage because the trigger had frozen up. Not the triggers fault, they just aren't meant for that application. Took that trigger off and changed it out with a timney. Started playing with stock triggers and didn't see a difference on paper.

What do I use now? I have started taking the stock Rem 700 xmark trigger, polishing the mating surfaces lightly and changing out the spring with a lighter one. On paper, I have not been able to tell a difference. Only difference I have found is lighter the pull, the more accurate I am.

If you are just getting started, there is nothing wrong with buying a $7 trigger spring rather than a $200 trigger and investing that money elsewhere. Flame suit on .... again ;)

My target rifles have Bix n Andy Marksman 2 stage. 1st stage at 2 pounds 2nd at
about a thought? Really light like 2 ounces! They are the best I have ever used!
Expensive and sometimes hard to find but worth it in my book!

I used to mess with Remington triggers when they had the old school wide shoe trigger that you could actually adjust but I could never get the weight safely down to where I like them. I prefer my trigger weight around 1 lb or so on all my rifles. I loved the Timney 510 for the wide trigger shoe but same as with stock Rem triggers they just don't go low enough in weight. I have swapped about all of my triggers from Jewels to either Calvin Elites singe stage or TT Diamonds and I have been very happy with both. After all the mess with Remington and the lawsuits that followed I just lost all confidence in their stock triggers and always had that thought in the back of my head when hunting. I do not own a stock actioned rifle any longer and now $200 triggers are an expense that has become a necessity when doing a build.

No doubt, the rem triggers stock do not go low enough. Throw in a light spring, hit the surfaces with a dremel metal polishing wheel and you got a heck of a trigger for little investment. Can't knock the others though. I used a jewel br this morning on a 30-06 comp rifle.

When I had my first rifle built, a 338 edge, I put a jewel br trigger on it. Went over to a very cold part of the state where it was snowing after big muleys. Had a nice four-point in my sights and I couldn't get the firing pin to engage because the trigger had frozen up. Not the triggers fault, they just aren't meant for that application. Took that trigger off and changed it out with a timney. Started playing with stock triggers and didn't see a difference on paper.

What do I use now? I have started taking the stock Rem 700 xmark trigger, polishing the mating surfaces lightly and changing out the spring with a lighter one. On paper, I have not been able to tell a difference. Only difference I have found is lighter the pull, the more accurate I am.

If you are just getting started, there is nothing wrong with buying a $7 trigger spring rather than a $200 trigger and investing that money elsewhere. Flame suit on .... again ;)
Timney

Sounds like you had to much lubricant on the trigger or in the bolt. This is very common in cold weather. Try to clean the trigger with lighter fluid (Naptha) and don't add any oil. do the same to the inside of the bolt to make sure it does not freeze up ether.

After the hunt you can add a light synthetic oil to the bolt. the trigger doesn't need any oil. Might just save you from having to buy a new trigger especially when you already have one of the best triggers on the market.

J E CUSTOM

JE, it was condensation that built and froze in the trigger. I used the lighter fluid trick for the jewell in the past for cleaning, but it wasn't designed for hunting in blowing snow, etc :). Great trigger, but not for that

My point is, why spend that kind of money on a trigger if it doesn't translate to accuracy on paper? For a new shooter, that money can take an Hs to a manners. Or buy a new pack or a bipod and sling
safety, reliability, and a superior pull to a stock trigger that has been meddled with. but to each their own. I own no stock in their company.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.