Trigger drop test

What is the height that most use when doing a drop test for trigger safety? I put in a new trigger and dropping ~8" off the floor, the trigger is fine. If I go ~12", it'll trip. This is not a hunting gun. Just used at the range.
Thank you.

Listening in. I'm interested in the responses.

My experience is a trigger built for the weight will always exceed the punishment I want to put my rifle through.

The ones I'm trying to tune to a lower weight by turning a screw can become unsafe.

I usually require no movement with safety on and with safety off, I smack the action laterally and axialy with a calibrated blow from a rubber mallet.

For me it has to take a pretty good whack and not fall, regardless of range or hunting gun. And not just straight butt down, I'll hit the stock top and bottom and both sides really hard with my hand also. For the drop I want to see it at least as far as it would fall if a sling swivel broke or something like that, so waist high minimum.

I believe SAAMI has a standard for rifles.
I know EU and NATO forces have a standard for pistols (36 " dropped on hammer, or the back of the slide for striker pistols) but not sure about rifles.

Last edited:
I shoot Ruger 77 tang safety rifles. These rifles to not have a "firing pin/striker pin" block on them. If the trigger is set too light, and....the rifle is dropped the rifle is going off. I set my triggers for hunting and nothing more. When I have a trigger set to my liking, I use a rubber mallet and hit the stock and receiver quite hard with that hammer and from all sides, not just from the bottom. I've not had any issues using this method. What I have found with the Ruger 77 is that "IF" I want a light trigger I change the factory trigger out for a Timney, again never any issues with Timneys and light trigger pulls.