Tough High BC bullet for .270

Thanks again for all the info. Muzzle season starts Oct. 20 and rifle on Nov. 10. I will be using the 300g SST bullet in the muzzle gun for the first time so will see how they work. Hope to get some longrange shooting in the rifle season. Will post my stories when they happen.

Try the new Barnes triple-shock. The 140 grain has a bc of .497, and shoots great out of my .270 Wby. I tried the Interbonds, very erratic. I have a partial box of them if anyone is interested! Actually, in three different rifles and calibers, the triple-shock has been a winner for me, way better than the regular x-bullet.

We are in the process of introducing a 270EXP bullet. Our tests have shown this 113gr EXP bullet to be very accurate.

This bullet will be available in 2 to 3 weeks.

Don

Don't get too hung up on ballistic coefficient, as it is highly overrated for normal and average shooting conditions. If you study the math, drop is very little until you hit the longer range categories when comparing 2 bullets of differing b.c.'s. Good luck!

Kenny, you do know the name of this website, right?
wink.gif
People here compensate for drop (that's why most don't mind heavy bullets). Look at wind drift. BC is very important for wind drift even at ranges most here would consider "short range hunting."

Gunpowder, the .270 cal 140 Barnes doesn't have a chance in hell of having a BC of .497. It looks like Barnes has been exaggerating again....

Here are some bc's I found. Some companies tend to push the numbers up a little but its a good place to start. Higher bc's make a very big difference when the range gets out there.
b.tip 140g .456bc
b.tip 150g .495bc
sst/interbond 140g .495bc
sst/interbond 150g .525bc
accubond 140g .496bc
nosler partition 140g .432bc
nosler partition 150g .465bc
nosler partition 160g .434bc
failsafe 140g .322bc
scirocco 130g .450bc
a-frame 150g .444bc
barnes xlc 140g .477bc
barnes tsx 140g .497bc

I see from your list that the TSX 140 has a higher rated BC than the XLC. Did they change the shape of the bullet significantly other than cutting grooves in it? If so, I may have spoken too soon. But Barnes has like zero info on these bullets on their website....

However, no matter what they may or may have not done to the shape, I have a hard time believing that these would shoot as flat as the SST or AccuBond if compared side-by-side at the same velocity. But if they have actually changed the shape significantly it is possible they could come closer than I originally thought. So I think I'll retract my above statement until somebody can give some accurate info.

Does a crimp groove, InterLock ring, or the grooves on the TSX or Groove bullet cause more drag and is this part of a BC calculation? The sst and interbond are said to be made in the same buller die and have the same listed BC but I think the interbond doesn't have a InterLock ring.

St_Gunner,

I have just what you're looking for
smile.gif

We just introduced the 270 caliber 113gr EXP Groove Bullet. Our data shows this bullet, shot from a 270 win with a 22" barrel to have a velocity of around 3250 FPS, 10 feet from the muzzle.

Not sure what you are looking for as to BC. The 113gr EXP Groove Bullet has a BC of .433

We have had hunters kill hogs with a 257 Roberts and our 101gr EXP bullet. The 150lb hog never stopped the bullet.

It would take a lot of hog to stop the 113gr bullet shot from a 270 Win.

Don

Harv,

The straight answer to your question whether the grooves in Groove Bullets produces more (or less) drag. I have no idea.

Don
smile.gif

I would give the 150 grain interbond a try. It has a .525BC and typically retains 90% weight retention. The terminal performance of the 30 cal 165 interbond was the best I have ever experienced from my 06.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.