Tough decision

wadevb1

I finally save up the funds for some quality glass for my custom 300wm. I am seeking some imput on glass options. My price range could max out to $1,700.

I don't travel other than my friends farm in Ontario, Canada. The usual problem of hunting different locations and elevation doesn't apply to me as this is the only farm I will be hunting. One could easily shoot 1,000 yards on this farm but I am limited to a max of 500 yards for practice where I live. I don't want to shoot beyond what I can practice.

Some options:
1)Swaro with TDS,
2)Nightforce, the weight wont be much of a factor, it isn't a carry rifle.
3)Have my Leupy converted to the ART retical, as that seems to be a user friendly system with software.
4)Have leupy BDC'd by their custom shop.

I have no problem hunting with one bullet or one load. My rifle shoots both Accubonds and TSX's into tiny holes.

This is a big purchase for me and would like some imput. Out of my choices listed, I keep coming back to Hollands ART system.

Thanks in advance....Wade

I followed every post from LRH and Snipershide regarding NF optics. I understand their value. I appear to be the only one interested in the NP-1RR retical. To me, this looks like a perfect retical for my application.

Wade, I don't remember if I have asked you before but what part of MI do you live in? I'm in Traverse City and also have private land for 1K shooting. That is if you need to stretch the legs on the NF you're going to buy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NF all the way, you will never regret it.

The 1RR reticle is a very nice reticle, i know a lot of people who use it. I think the reason you dont hear about it as much is because so many people are talking about the new R1 reticle.

IF you need any info on them email me or bill bailey or call 1-800-522-3314 and ask for steve or bj

take it easy
steve

I see in snipershide they are doing a group buy for U.S. optics. still rather expensive glass, but have heard good things about them. Might be worth checking out. they are discounting the sn-3 line of scopes. But realize I am somewhat of a newbie and have never actually used the us optics. but from the research I have done it sounds like night force is really good as well as US optics.
liongetter

With your budget think I would be tempted to look in the for sales here and snipershide for a "as new" USO Sn.3 or T.Pal, or a 4-16x50 Schmidt & Bender PMII. USO and S&B are at the very top to the food chain scope wise. For me the difference comes down to where you live - I`m in Europe so S&B is easier for me to deal with is something goes wrong, if you live in the USA then USO are a US company.

Try a search on snipershide for USO and S&B.

David.

Thanks for the offer magman. I live straight south of you off US-31 on the sunny shores of Holland. Everytime I go to Canada, I have to treat my wife at the Grand Traverse Resort Spa. I'm in the TC area often.

Just got off the phone with Lerch,(nice guy) looks like I'll go the NF route.

I hunt in gladwin Mi I hunt big fields for white tail and I use a swarovski ph 6x24 50mm TDS on a 338-378 weatherby and I've shot my gun over 150 times no problems I love the glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.