Too late to start?

Well, that's annoying. Just go hunting and don't tell her. Who cares? Do what you want with your time. You only live once. Also, I am married, and I deal with the same BS. I'm at the point where it's just easier not to tell her anything. I'll go hunting or shooting after work, or go work on a buddies farm then go hunting afterward.

I support my wife's endeavors, no matter how I feel about them. Hard sometimes. I, in turn, DEMAND that she support mine. I have to remind her of this more often than I would like, but in the end it is fair and we get along pretty well.
You shouldn't have to demand anything in a good partnership that should be 50-50 mine actually likes to hunt and has her own rifle I guess I am very lucky

Also, you're from Texas, just field dress it and dropped it off at a cooler. Ask for a 90/10 cut with pork fat and maybe your wife will like it. Either that or keep a couple of choice cuts for yourself and donate the rest to a charity. There are a lot of ways to hunt without involving your wife. Hopefully, the most disturbance you do to her is waking her up with your alarm clock when you get up early to get to the stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lowedown had best response I 've seen. As somebody else said-- it's more of a spiritual thing then just going out and killing something.
like nike says---Just do it!
And have you ever told her not to do anything --how did that work!?
go and enjoy your life. She will get over it or she wont.
I had one that thought she could control everything I did by making me miserable until she got her way. I am happily single!
Sounds.like maybe she had some childhood issues that she is relating to hunting.
you are not her dad or uncle's and hunting will not turn you into them.
I bet they peed standing up--do you have to sit down?
if your still alive then it's not to late to go! Go enjoy the experience!

I don't post often, but I feel like there's been some really good and really bad advice here. First, James B, I'll give you a lot of credit for being concerned and honest and willing to post and seek advice. I think it speaks to your charcter and I admire that.

IMO, the good advice has centered on getting her involved, taking safety courses, donating meat, going with a camera first, etc.

The bad advice is to completely disregard her in the different manners stated. You won't fully enjoy hunting if it's a divisive thing in your house.

One thing that helped me is to introduce her to your coworker and potential hunting partners. You said she didn't like her dad and uncles' demeanor towards hunting. Most hunters are honest ethical people who care for animals and the created world. I think your best chance is showing her that and maybe she'll develop a different impression.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts