To clean or not every time you shoot?

Topshot

I have a private range and I fire off a couple of shots down range every second day or so.
I may only fire 2 or 3 shots, clean the rifle and put it back in the safe for next time. This is a pain in the butt and I was wondering if I was doing more damage to the barrel through over cleaning than just putting the rifle back in the safe uncleaned and then cleaning the bore say once a week instead.

What do you think?

..........................................................................................................................

I posted this question elsewhere with surprising results (to me at lest) so I thought I would see if the practices of long range hunters is consistent.

Topshot, if the barrel is well broke in there is no need to clean that frequently, if your shooting every couple days, I would clean it once a month or when the accuracy fell off. You should see how good that barrel really is and find out how long it will go without a good cleaning. If your enviroment is very humid, and rust is a problem, then a fellow should clean and oil the bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.