Timing a Barrel, how much impact in Long Range?

Truing up Savage

If the TIR is less than .003 I recomend just facing the action, facing the contact side of the barrel nut, and truing and lapping in the bolt action lugs until 60% or better bilateral contact. For hunting rifles I like .005-.0010 gap between the bolt face and the barrel tendon. For target actions I like about .003 space between the bolt face and the barrel tendon. For extreme presure loads I like to bush the firing pin so cratering and primer flow is not a problem. All factory stamped lugs should be replaced with a precision round lug. I like a good 2B thread fit. All Savage triggers are poor at best. The Rifle Basix Sav-2 is the best that is currently available. About 4oz is as low as it will go and it is iffy there. They are safe at 6 to 8 oz.

I shoot a 116 that has been tricked out to shoot 308Win with 210 Bergers. It has a 32" Broughton, 1:10, 5C, barrel. It will shoot better than the shooter. On a no wind day it will hold 5 inches at 1000 yards. It is in a laminated stock and weighs 17.8 pounds.

I have several customers shooting the same basic setup but with 30" Broughton barrels. I have another customer that has a couple Model 10s set up to shoot 6mmBRX at 1000 yards.

Don't let anyone tell you a Savage want shoot.

Rustystud

Lubrication between action and tendon threads

AJ:

I use a high temperature, extreme presure, water displacing, bearing grease on the threads of all rifles I build. You can spend a lot of money on fancy "anti gauld compounds" but a good high quaility bearing grease is as good as it gets. This is done for three reasons. All threads are going to have some tighter spots than others. Lubricated metal on metal makes a smother and less stressful connection. Stainless steel has a tendency to gauld the only know prevention is good lubrication. 4140 and most chrome molly steels are fine metals with wonderful machining characteristics and high strength but they will oxydize in other words rust. Since hunting guns are used in field conditions condensation, and direct contact with water are the norm. We all know water is drawn in the cracks between two surfaces. Therefore we know the barrel tendon action threads will be no different.

Hope this has explained why I an others use lubrication on all action/tendon joints. It makes them come apart so much easier the next time also.

Rustystud

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.