Time to buy a Lightweight Elk Rifle

I think a Nula would be a good option for an accurate lightweight rifle, chambered in any cartridge you want. Only problem is you won't be getting it for this coming elk season.

I would look at RBros line of rifles. While I don't own one, yet, I did shoot one this past weekend and am still in awe of how well it shot, fit and finish was second to none..

After my 11th shot, I was convinced myself I needed one of my own and plan to get one in order later this fall

I think a Nula would be a good option for an accurate lightweight rifle, chambered in any cartridge you want. Only problem is you won't be getting it for this coming elk season.

I shoot 300 Win Mag, using the long, VLD Berger bullets. NULA magazines won't hold/feed these rounds.

I would look at RBros line of rifles. While I don't own one, yet, I did shoot one this past weekend and am still in awe of how well it shot, fit and finish was second to none..

After my 11th shot, I was convinced myself I needed one of my own and plan to get one in order later this fall

This is the choice I made. Looking forward to trying out the new R Bros rifle.

I shoot 300 Win Mag, using the long, VLD Berger bullets. NULA magazines won't hold/feed these rounds.

Really? Are you talking about a model 28? I'm not familiar with the length of the magazine on the model 28, but I do know it's about 3lbs lighter than an R Bros Rifle. At 8.5lbs+ they don't fit the bill as a lightweight rifle imo.

Really? Are you talking about a model 28? I'm not familiar with the length of the magazine on the model 28, but I do know it's about 3lbs lighter than an R Bros Rifle. At 8.5lbs+ they don't fit the bill as a lightweight rifle imo.

Yes. I called NULA and spoke with the owner. He confirmed that this ammunition would not fit.

The R Bros Rifle I bought is their lightweight, 6.75 pound version. Not ultralight, but light enough.

Yes. I called NULA and spoke with the owner. He confirmed that this ammunition would not fit.

The R Bros Rifle I bought is their lightweight, 6.75 pound version. Not ultralight, but light enough.

Ah, I see. I didn't realize R Bros made a 6.75lb rifle.

Not that I have anything against custom builds builds but unless you have an extra $2-5K why bother to drag it around when a $299.00 T/C Compass will do the job just as well, ..and you can toss it, scratch it treat it real bad and not worry about loosing anything to normal wear and tear for 1/10 to 1/20 of the cost...once the bullet leaves the barrel the recipient does know or care where it came from!! I watched one this weekend in action, ugly as heck but it shot one once groups with all kinds of bullets the guy was testing, for less than $399, what can you say !!

Not that I have anything against custom builds builds but unless you have an extra $2-5K why bother to drag it around when a $299.00 T/C Compass will do the job just as well, ..and you can toss it, scratch it treat it real bad and not worry about loosing anything to normal wear and tear for 1/10 to 1/20 of the cost...once the bullet leaves the barrel the recipient does know or care where it came from!! I watched one this weekend in action, ugly as heck but it shot one once groups with all kinds of bullets the guy was testing, for less than $399, what can you say !!
I guess it makes the world go around Frank,there's something for everybody.
The R-Bros should be nice,have you considered optics?

R Bros rifles are guaranteed to shoot 1/2 MOA or less. Not sure if the TC Compass has that sort of certainty. I've bought off the shelf rifles that shot well, and some did not. I also have no idea what a TC Compass weighs.

I like owning a rifle made one at a time, by a guy who builds it tests it, and puts his name on it when he's done. I like being able to pick up the phone and speak directly with the guy who built it. I don't mind paying for quality and certainty. When I miss, I want to be certain the problem is with the shooter, not the rifle.

I guess it makes the world go around Frank,there's something for everybody.
The R-Bros should be nice,have you considered optics?

Kahles K624i

I understand about rifles like the Compass as far as money wise savings. I grew up in East Texas (deer/hogs) dirt poor, my "first" real rifle was a Harrington 7 Richardson Topper 30-30. hard kicking little devil, with a horrible trigger pull. I hated it. I then traded a saddle for an old Universal M1 carbine. I "worried"a poor yearling to death with that jamomatic. I then got one of the first Mod 94 "Classic" commerotives, a carbine, for $300...lots of money in 1968! I killed a p/u load of game with it (my average shot was only 50yds!), but it had an "oval shaped" chamber ( must of been a Friday afternnon rifle) and I could not hit an anti freeze jug at 150 steps! It was a beautiful rifle though, ha! I also lugged around a cut down ( red neck sporterized) M1917 enfield. When I got out of the Army in '73 I no longer tried to save money...I wanted two things a) pride of ownership and b) 100%reliability...followed closely by accuracy. I am just that way, and many others are also. After the Army, if 'any" weapon I had was not 100% reliable, it got jetted, ha! I admit, I've never been awakened at night by 'deer in the wire" ( sometimes hogs!) but I just could never trust "make do" anymore. Out here in the West...I could just "see" myself finally, finally getting to the top of a ridge and finding out my DM was gone, or my safety is screwed up or my trigger won't budge ( I could spend hrs on a therapists couch describing that one as my most frequent nightmare, ha) But hey, I'm now 63, lots of miles on my frame,etc. If I was a young man with a young family ( read "not much money) I would have had to try one of the newer less expensive models. I have younger family back in East Tx that use Savage rifles like any other 'tool", if it gets broke, they run down to Wally world or Academy and get another...they are more into "the whole 4whlr, corn feeders, country music, beer at night" thing than making a sweet shot further than a 100yds! ha

Last edited:
I received my new rifle on Friday. Travis provided me with load data on some loads he had tested with this rifle, (210 and 215gr Bergers.) The rifle came with a dummy round of each so I could duplicate overall length. The rifle came in a Pelican case, with the scope mounted, and a test target.

It's very light, even with the Kahles scope. When compared with my Desert Tech, it's silly light.

Took it to the range today. Shot it at 100 yards. My conclusion is that I will be the weak link, not the rifle. It's definitely more difficult to shoot and less forgiving than my much heavier Desert Tech. It's much easier for me to screw up my fundamentals, as the lighter weight magnifies my mistakes more.

The rifle shot really well, but the fact that I was using a Milrad scope for the first time made zeroing it a bit challenging. Ended the day with a good 8 round group that makes me think that if an elk wanders into sight, I should be able to hit it.

Here's the first 7 rounds through the rifle, and my attempts to zero it.

img

After this, I cleaned the gun, and the groups opened up a lot. After I cleaned the gun, it took about 15 rounds for the groups to tighten up again.

When the groups recovered from my cleaning and tightened up a bit, I shot this 8 round group which was the last group of the day:

29326079184_c347252363_b.jpg

Here's a picture of my new R Bros elk gun:

img

I am very pleased with the gun so far. It will definitely be a bit of a learning curve to learn to shoot this lightweight rifle well. Hoping it will bring me luck on the hunt in a couple of weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.